In need of some advice.

MsChickenMomma

Crowing
10 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Michigan
I have a two year old RIR rooster who has started to become very ruff with my hens. Most of my hens are too scared to come down from the roosts because he has been so mean to them. He has also become very mean to my sweet one year old rooster. It's getting to the point where I can't stand having him around anymore. He's a very sweet rooster when it comes to people, and he has never attacked a person in his life. He has just gotten SO mean to my other birds.

What do you think I should do? I can't afford hen saddles for 22 hens. Do I cull him? This is a really hard decision for me, but I know I need to do what is best for my flock. Any advice would be great.

Last edited:
I have a two year old RIR rooster who has started to become very ruff with my hens. Most of my hens are too scared to come down from the roosts because he has been so mean to them. He has also become very mean to my sweet one year old rooster. It's getting to the point where I can't stand having him around anymore. He's a very sweet rooster when it comes to people, and he has never attacked a person in his life. He has just gotten SO mean to my other birds.

What do you think I should do? I can't afford hen saddles for 22 hens. Do I cull him? This is a really hard decision for me, but I know I need to do what is best for my flock. Any advice would be great.
get rid of him... I had to do the same recently. I just went through the same situation

The easiest, most humane way to cull is probably to chop his head off with either a hatchet or sharp knife. You might want to take him off the roost at night so there is less struggling and clucking, would be easier for everyone involved. If using the hatchet, hold him upside down for a little while, by his feet, as it will calm him and make him lay still for a moment while you take your swing. Do it as quickly as you can once you have the rooster in your hands, that's easiest for everyone as well.

Okay thank you. This sure isn't going to be easy... I raised this guy from day one. I have to do what needs to be done though. I don't think anybody would want a rooster who is aggressive around other chickens, so it's not like re homing him is an option.

I am dealing with this too right now, I have 2 roos, and one is aggressive and loud. I think he's going to need "attention" soon. Good luck, and I know it's not an easy decision. It is the right one, and your flock will be happier because of it!

I am dealing with this too right now, I have 2 roos, and one is aggressive and loud.  I think he's going to need "attention" soon.  Good luck, and I know it's not an easy decision.  It is the right one, and your flock will be happier because of it! 
x2 yes your girls will be happier. This is one reason I don't have Rhode Island Reds. They're known to be really aggressive. We had to kill mine because he kept mating with my muscovy duck and he eventually injured her..

x2 yes your girls will be happier. This is one reason I don't have Rhode Island Reds. They're known to be really aggressive. We had to kill mine because he kept mating with my muscovy duck and he eventually injured her..

I have had really good success with Rhode Island Red roosters. I don't think any individual breed is more aggressive than the other. I think it is just the rooster. You have about a 50/50 chance of getting an aggressive rooster or a sweet rooster with any breed. (In my personal experience anyways)

I'm going to try asking in my state thread on BYC and see if anyone is interested in taking him. If not we will be culling him.

Back
Top Bottom