In or Out , Up or Down

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 5peeps, May 25, 2008.

1. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    Hello ,

I have a couple question about feeders , waters .

1. Is it better to hang your feeders , waters ?

2 . Which feeders are the best the free standing or the ones you mount to the side ?

3. Do you want food and water in and out of the coop ?

4. When you lock them up at night do you need food and water in with them ?

Thanks For All The Help

Will

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I dont hang waterers, if bumped they start spilling, and guarantee someone will attempt to roost on lip of waterer. I raise mine by putting on blocks of wood till birds are big enough for watere to rest on a cylinder block.

Quote:This would be a personal preference. I personally prefer wall mounted.

Quote:You can do either, I prefer food at least in coop, since I dont have a covered run, this way I dont have to make a way to keep food dry in event of rain/snow. I do have water available inside and outside of coop, so they dont have to go back in to get a drink.

Quote:I would always have water available to them, just in case you did not get out first thing in the morning to let them out if you feed/water them outside. They can go a while without feed, but need water at all times.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have water in, out of the run, and in the run. I find that if I move the food or water even 3 feet, the chickens can't find it, LOL
    I keep the food in cause I don't want varmits looking for a snack if some gets on the ground.
    My water is raised up on a block.

(And hello Marlin)

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:HI Sem, this works too. [​IMG]

5. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I leave mine out in run but if its going to rain I put it in coop. My hens can always find food well maybe they just keep there eyes on me when I move it lol

Last edited: May 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by