1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

In or out

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Iowachild, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Iowachild

Iowachild New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    Soon to have new chicks and trying to decide if I should have them inside or outside. At night we get down to mid to low 60's and during the day mid to upper 90's. Not sure about maintaining temp with such a big range. Suggestions?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    And you might be interested in reading my article on brooding outdoors and how it has many more benefits than indoor brooding. I just finished brooding four chicks outdoors and they are feathered completely at just under five weeks and are now living in the coop.

The temps were in the 30s at night when I brought them home and installed them under their heating pad cave, and it was under 70F all day the first day when they were a whopping one day old. They spent very little time under the heat.

You aren't trying to "maintain" a temperature, but providing a heat source for the chicks to warm themselves as they lose body heat. They aren't meat that needs to be kept at a constant temp.

Click on the second link below this post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by