In other election news...

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS''''Red, I knew exactly what you meant by your comment; I knew that it had nothing to do with discrimination; and I have had the same feelings myself about others and I also know that when this election did not go the way you wanted you were one of the few who seemed to just swallow hard and were ready to move on despite the bad taste it left.

I thought there was a population issue as to why they are not a state yet but I am all for more states. I also think we should offer the option to our allies too. If we don't expand an diversify we will eventually break apart. The way things are I will be surprised if some states don't secede before the end of my lifetime.

My God Rebel!!! You almost made it. The first two sentences of your comment were perfect but that last one is a doozie. Please let me remind you that the n1800's have come and gone. There will be no State that will secede from this Union in your life time nor in your great grandchildren's lifetime.

The issues my friends mentioned were how can they vote for our president if they don't even LIVE here..thats not something you can vote on unless you LIVE it..
They explained that living in PR is nothing like living in the States..

With some states talking about succeeding, maybe we won't have to change the number of stars. ;) Very neat, interested to see where this will lead if anywhere at all. I wonder what is being attributed to the change as well?

I think that any state threatening secession would think twice once all federal funds for their state, industries, and agriculture were cut off.

In terms of voting rights, here is a little summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_voting_rights_in_Puerto_Rico

I think they are in the classic Declaration of Independence place of taxation without representation. I think it might require a push for statehood, much like that of Alaska and Hawaii, which were linked for political reasons. They have been citizens for almost 100 years, with very few of the rights of full citizens. It has been over 50 years since the last states were admitted, the longest time the country has gone without adding a new state.

fixed my spelling mistake

Last edited:
Oops, secede even...I think.

Very interesting topic that I never gave any thought to. Thanks for bringing it up!

I can never spell secede or secession correctly...I think the whole idea must make my brain hurt.
tongue.png
Now I have to edit too....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom