Kikirikis!

ChickensInMA

Chirping
Oct 27, 2023
The Boston Area
My Coop
My Coop
Kikirikis! They've honestly become my favourite type of chicken. They're super docile and come in every colour and shape under the sun. Kikiriki is the sound a rooster makes in Spanish, but it can also be used as a nickname for bantams in Spanish, especially Latin American ones. Does anyone else here raise these? I've seen a few posts on here about them, but nothing in detail. The majority of the people here who know about them seem to think that they are just Caribbean seramas, but that does not do them justice. These are the descendants of cockfighting birds, bred down to be small and exaggerate certain features. They are really small bantams, like seramas, but with much more variety. To me, I think seramas seem boring in comparison. I have quite a few of them, and they make fantastic pets. They come in all sorts of colours and styles, but they aren't a recognised breed. They have a huge following in Puerto Rico, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Florida and other places in the Caribbean.

I've been told they can't handle temperatures below 50°F (10°C), but I've had them outside in Massachusetts in temperatures as low as 20°F (-7°C) so far. I have a small heater in their well-insulated coop which only goes on when temperatures are beneath 28°F (-2°C), and it raises the temperature in their coop about ten degrees warmer than the outside temperature. I don't want it warm in their, just enough to keep them alive. Their yard is completely covered in plastic this winter as a windbreak. It's clear they can't tolerate it as well as my other birds, but they've been surviving so far.

I wanted to share some of mine and see some that other people might have. I was thinking about writing an article on them based off of what I know, if enough people are interested in learning about them. If you don't speak Spanish, however, it would be difficult to buy them. All of the breeders I've met are awesome, amazing people, but you really need to know Spanish to communicate.

Anyway, here are some of mine! There is much more variety out there, but I'll start off with what I have, and people are interested, I'll show you some of the really nice, competition-quality ones that others have.
Tiny in Tyre 1.jpg
Tiny in Tyre 2.jpg
Tiny on Roof 1.jpg
Tiny on Roof 2.jpg

This one is Tiny. She is my favourite one, as she was my introduction to kiris. I bought her at a flea market in West Palm Beach. She was too little to live with my chickens when I first got her, so she used to live with my quail. As you can see, kiris are quite good flyers. She flew up to the top of the roof of the shed as if she were a normal bird, about twelve feet (3,5m). She's extremely friendly, and very hand-tame. We have a childcare at our home, so she makes a fantastic pet for the children.
PXL_20230801_181623130.jpg
Peloncilla Outside.jpg
Peloncilla Sleeping.jpg

This is Peloncilla (little baldy in Spanish). She is a piroca (naked neck) and a bola (rumpless, literally means 'ball' :p). She's my 'special' chicken. The first picture is her in the box when I was taking her home, and the second is her in her new coop. For those familiar with it, the box is a Dunkin' Donuts Munchkin box, so this'll give you a reference for size. She is about eighteen months in the first picture.
PXL_20230804_201607268.jpg

This one is Negrita (little blacky). She is a moñahueso (This term, although ungrammatical in Spanish, means a crested kikiriki, or one with a vaulted skull, like a Polish chicken. Moña means 'bun' or 'ribbon', and hueso means 'bone'. Moñahueso can be translated as 'bone-bun'.) and also a pata corta (a chicken with the short-leg gene, like that found in Japanese Bantams. Pata usually means 'paw', but a better translation is 'animal foot'. Birds don't have 'paws' in English, but both dogs and chickens have patas in Spanish, for example.) Moñahuesos and patas cortas are usually the most expensive kind of kiri to buy, due to their low hatch rates. Small-sized chicks with vaulted skulls and the potencially-lethal short-leg gene can lead to hatch rates of about 60% sometimes.

Negrita and Peloncilla on Aeroplane 1.jpg
Negrita and Peloncilla on Aeroplane 2.jpg

Here are the two of them after I snuck them on a commerical flight from Florida! Spirit flights allow birds, but only 'small, household birds' and not 'farmyard poultry'. I only showed the gate agent Negrita, and told her it was a black dove. It worked, and I even managed to do it a second time since then! I've brought a total of nine kikirikis home to Massachusetts this way. :lau

Calabaza.jpeg
Poppy.jpeg
Calabaza in Car.jpg
Poppy in Car.jpg

These two are Calabaza (pumpkin in Spanish) and Poppy. They are also both moñahuesos and patas cortas.

PXL_20231125_205740528.jpg
PXL_20231222_183531295.jpg

Here is one of my hens, Minky, with her chick, Bonko. The are with Calabaza and Poppy in the second picture. She is a bola, piroca and a moñahueso. The same goes for her blackish chick. The whitish chick in the box was just a bolo, but unfortunately, it did not survive long. The four of them lived in the bottom of my quail hutch as they acclimatised to the New England weather and got to know the other chickens. They now live with the rest.

Kikirikis and Other Birds in Yard.jpg

Here are some of my kiris living with the other birds in my yard. If anyone is interested in learning more, please ask! This does not cover all of the types, and all of these are mediocre-to-pet quality birds. They get a lot nicer than this. There are a lot of terms to describe the different types of these birds, and although I speak Spanish, I don't know what all of them mean, or what they mean in these situations. I can go more into detail later if you want.

Kikirikis! They've honestly become my favourite type of chicken. They're super docile and come in every colour and shape under the sun. Kikiriki is the sound a rooster makes in Spanish, but it can also be used as a nickname for bantams in Spanish, especially Latin American ones. Does anyone else here raise these? I've seen a few posts on here about them, but nothing in detail. The majority of the people here who know about them seem to think that they are just Caribbean seramas, but that does not do them justice. These are the descendants of cockfighting birds, bred down to be small and exaggerate certain features. They are really small bantams, like seramas, but with much more variety. To me, I think seramas seem boring in comparison. I have quite a few of them, and they make fantastic pets. They come in all sorts of colours and styles, but they aren't a recognised breed. They have a huge following in Puerto Rico, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Florida and other places in the Caribbean.

I've been told they can't handle temperatures below 50°F (10°C), but I've had them outside in Massachusetts in temperatures as low as 20°F (-7°C) so far. I have a small heater in their well-insulated coop which only goes on when temperatures are beneath 28°F (-2°C), and it raises the temperature in their coop about ten degrees warmer than the outside temperature. I don't want it warm in their, just enough to keep them alive. Their yard is completely covered in plastic this winter as a windbreak. It's clear they can't tolerate it as well as my other birds, but they've been surviving so far.

I wanted to share some of mine and see some that other people might have. I was thinking about writing an article on them based off of what I know, if enough people are interested in learning about them. If you don't speak Spanish, however, it would be difficult to buy them. All of the breeders I've met are awesome, amazing people, but you really need to know Spanish to communicate.

Anyway, here are some of mine! There is much more variety out there, but I'll start off with what I have, and people are interested, I'll show you some of the really nice, competition-quality ones that others have.
View attachment 3712124View attachment 3712125View attachment 3712161View attachment 3712162
This one is Tiny. She is my favourite one, as she was my introduction to kiris. I bought her at a flea market in West Palm Beach. She was too little to live with my chickens when I first got her, so she used to live with my quail. As you can see, kiris are quite good flyers. She flew up to the top of the roof of the shed as if she were a normal bird, about twelve feet (3,5m). She's extremely friendly, and very hand-tame. We have a childcare at our home, so she makes a fantastic pet for the children.
View attachment 3712078View attachment 3712097View attachment 3712119
This is Peloncilla (little baldy in Spanish). She is a piroca (naked neck) and a bola (rumpless, literally means 'ball' :p). She's my 'special' chicken. The first picture is her in the box when I was taking her home, and the second is her in her new coop. For those familiar with it, the box is a Dunkin' Donuts Munchkin box, so this'll give you a reference for size. She is about eighteen months in the first picture.
View attachment 3712079
This one is Negrita (little blacky). She is a moñahueso (This term, although ungrammatical in Spanish, means a crested kikiriki, or one with a vaulted skull, like a Polish chicken. Moña means 'bun' or 'ribbon', and hueso means 'bone'. Moñahueso can be translated as 'bone-bun'.) and also a pata corta (a chicken with the short-leg gene, like that found in Japanese Bantams. Pata usually means 'paw', but a better translation is 'animal foot'. Birds don't have 'paws' in English, but both dogs and chickens have patas in Spanish, for example.) Moñahuesos and patas cortas are usually the most expensive kind of kiri to buy, due to their low hatch rates. Small-sized chicks with vaulted skulls and the potencially-lethal short-leg gene can lead to hatch rates of about 60% sometimes.

View attachment 3712108 View attachment 3712111
Here are the two of them after I snuck them on a commerical flight from Florida! Spirit flights allow birds, but only 'small, household birds' and not 'farmyard poultry'. I only showed the gate agent Negrita, and told her it was a black dove. It worked, and I even managed to do it a second time since then! I've brought a total of nine kikirikis home to Massachusetts this way. :lau

View attachment 3712118View attachment 3712120View attachment 3712121View attachment 3712122
These two are Calabaza (pumpkin in Spanish) and Poppy. They are also both moñahuesos and patas cortas.

View attachment 3712106View attachment 3712107
Here is one of my hens, Minky, with her chick, Bonko. The are with Calabaza and Poppy in the second picture. She is a bola, piroca and a moñahueso. The same goes for her blackish chick. The whitish chick in the box was just a bolo, but unfortunately, it did not survive long. The four of them lived in the bottom of my quail hutch as they acclimatised to the New England weather and got to know the other chickens. They now live with the rest.

View attachment 3712168
Here are some of my kiris living with the other birds in my yard. If anyone is interested in learning more, please ask! This does not cover all of the types, and all of these are mediocre-to-pet quality birds. They get a lot nicer than this. There are a lot of terms to describe the different types of these birds, and although I speak Spanish, I don't know what all of them mean, or what they mean in these situations. I can go more into detail later if you want.
I have never heard of these before and had to check them out. Thanks for sharing! I learned something new today!

Here is a white moñahueso that I've just bought, as well as a bola that I'm buying. The moñahueso is a show-quality bird that cost me $320, but the bola is a much cheaper, pet-quality bird that costs $80. There's a lot of variety in kikirikis!

received_312135488476057.jpeg
received_1530775291029910.jpeg
IMG_20231227_203501.jpg

Here is a white moñahueso that I've just bought, as well as a bola that I'm buying. The moñahueso is a show-quality bird that cost me $320, but the bola is a much cheaper, pet-quality bird that costs $80. There's a lot of variety in kikirikis!

View attachment 3713561View attachment 3713563View attachment 3713564
I am very interested in this breed! Can they live with quail in a big temp controlled outside aviary? Or would they want to come out to forage and fly? I’m just afraid my standard size chickens may bully them…

I am very interested in this breed! Can they live with quail in a big temp controlled outside aviary? Or would they want to come out to forage and fly? I’m just afraid my standard size chickens may bully them…
I had one live in my quail hutch for a while, but she did eventually attack one of them months later. I can't say how they'd be together long term in a big aviary, but the two birds are about the same size. People in the Caribbean raise them in smaller cages similar to hamster cages, but I keep mine in a 148 square foot yard. They do use all of it, and they do appreciate the times when I allow that they go out into the yard to eat the grass. They live with my standard hens just fine, but they definitely are at the bottom of the pecking order. You'd have to keep them separately at first where they can see each other, but not touch. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! I can lead you in the direction on how to get them, too!

I had one live in my quail hutch for a while, but she did eventually attack one of them months later. I can't say how they'd be together long term in a big aviary, but the two birds are about the same size. People in the Caribbean raise them in smaller cages similar to hamster cages, but I keep mine in a 148 square foot yard. They do use all of it, and they do appreciate the times when I allow that they go out into the yard to eat the grass. They live with my standard hens just fine, but they definitely are at the bottom of the pecking order. You'd have to keep them separately at first where they can see each other, but not touch. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! I can lead you in the direction on how to get them, too!
I would LOVE more information!!! I have bantams (millie Fleur, self blue Americana, silkies) that I bring in and out all the time (weather typically) they are very spoiled. I have large crates all over my house… In the living room, in the basement, in the garage lol They also live with my standard hens in some pretty large coop/runs but mind their business. Our phantoms are our favorite though! I would love some Kikirikis someday. This is great information, thank you! 😊

Thank you for this post. I am on my third generation of pet quality Kikirikis. I think they are beautiful, interesting, Little Birds and I am totally in love with them. I have some that are very small under 7 oz and a few that go as large as 12 oz. I have been reaching out to a few breeders to find out more information on mine and evaluate them before I start selling chicks or pairs. Some Breeders are of the opinion that because I have Frizzle that they are not true kikiriki and do not meet the standard. It is been suggested that maybe they are mixed with Serama. Doesn't hurt my feelings in the least as they are tiny and beautiful and everyone I come across wants them. But I am honest in my dealings and don't want to advertise falsely. I would love to know your opinion of my birds and if you have heard that they do not come in Frizzle, or that it is not a standard trait. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• 20240229_092210.jpg
    20240229_092210.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240229_092322.jpg
    20240229_092322.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240229_092102.jpg
    20240229_092102.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240229_092426.jpg
    20240229_092426.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20240229-094050_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240229-094050_Gallery.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20240229-094132_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240229-094132_Gallery.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20240229-094159_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240229-094159_Gallery.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 34

View attachment 3712124View attachment 3712125View attachment 3712161View attachment 3712162
View attachment 3712078View attachment 3712097View attachment 3712119
View attachment 3712079

View attachment 3712108 View attachment 3712111

View attachment 3712118View attachment 3712120View attachment 3712121View attachment 3712122

View attachment 3712106View attachment 3712107

View attachment 3712168

View attachment 3713561View attachment 3713563View attachment 3713564
Thank you so much for posting this info and these pics!! I’ve been raising bantum silkies and cochins for 6 years now😍 and only recently found out about the kikirikis. I would love to start with a few but have no idea how to find a breeder possibly near me. We are in north central Arkansas, and kikirikis and practically unheard of here. Do you possibly have a list of a few good breeders? I know it’ll be a drive for me, but I love road trips!😅

Back
Top Bottom