In pursuit of Mr. Right

We're in Southern Minnesota. Thanks for the offer. Like I said, I'm still debating if I even want one. It was nice walking out today without worrying about being attacked.
Well, if you decide if you want another roosters/cockerel, the one's I have are less likely to be human aggressive. They've already proven to be not human aggressive.

Our worst cockerel ever was a cute bantam who started flairing and attacking at eight weeks of age! He was a real SOB, and did not improve, and left after he was a very few months of age. Really an amazing little twit!
Here chicks raised by a broody hen are with her and in the flock from seven to ten days of age, because mama will take care of them. Our roosters are all polite, which helps their genetics too.
Hatchery chicks are in a brooder in our garage for two to three weeks, then out in the coop, in a separate area, with their heat lamp or brooder plate, and next to the flock with hardware cloth between.
When the chicks no longer need their extra heater, they start going outside briefly, before the flock goes outside. After another week or so, the chicks (six weeks or so old) go outside with everyone, and return to their safe space overnight. The adults help civilize the little guys, it's fun to watch! Meanwhile, I haven't been trying to make pets out of the cockerels, I want them focused on the chickens, not me. Any that try any thing rude towards me, go on the short list. Think about what your nasty cockerels did first! I walk 'through' the flock, never around anyone, and expect everyone to move out of my path. I don't offer treats out of my hand, tossing them on the ground instead. Roosters have work to do, and it involves watching for actual dangers, and impressing their ladies. Any cockerels who cause harm to the pullets or hens, short list.
Genetics! Some breeds and family lines tend to produce more jerks, although it is an individual thing too. Historically, roosters from fighting cock lines have been polite towards humans, and wanting to kill any other rooster. Shows that these behaviors are somewhat separate genetically, important to consider.
Mary

What is your program or method of operation for sifting out the "bad" ones? Do you keep them in a mixed flock and see how they act around one another? Do you go in there and see how they react to you doing things?

Totally agree with Folly's place.

I find it's in the eyes. Not so much a "window to the soul" thing, but what are they doing with them. A cockerel who constantly catches my gaze is more likely to become aggressive, and if they try to stare me down they've already made up their mind to be aggressive.
I spend time in a lawn chair just watching the chicks and juveniles. Because it's pretty regular, they seem to decide quite young whether they are jerk-butts or not.

We also watch for kerfuffles between the chicks. If someone is getting picked on, I want to know who's the culprit, stat!
Some hierarchy sorting is normal, especially at the ages they are all doing it, but when most of the chicks aren't yet thinking of being bossy and one is, that's a pretty clear jerk-butt to me. There's a bit of nuance to that, you have to see if they're arguing with another little cockerel or if it's a little pullet trying to run away and having her back pecked for no reason. If the chicks look similar, we put bright colored legbands or zip ties with colored beads on both legs.
You don't have to watch them 24/7 to see this behavior, just sit long enough in a session that they go back to natural behavior.
Again, fighting between little cockerels is fine, and facing off with bold pullets is fine, but picking on pullets is always (in my book) linked to being nasty in general.

What is your program or method of operation for sifting out the "bad" ones? Do you keep them in a mixed flock and see how they act around one another? Do you go in there and see how they react to you doing things? All the chicks I'm raising right now will either be kept for egg production or go in the freezer. I got some new breeds and am hoping for one or two roosters that will work out for us. I just wish I knew of an exact equation for figuring out which rooster is nice and which ones aren't.
Not an expert, but have gone through a lot of cockerels in the last two years and been flogged by roosters as a child. Right now I have two boys I love from the same hatch lot, two I tolerate from a different line, and one that I allow to stay (but without his freedom) for now.

Out of a group (21 or so on my case, about 50/50 girls to boys), I watch the boys and how they react to ME.

1. I'm high-stepping over the fence, over them, forcing them nicely to make way for me and the food and water. This can be perceived as threatening to a cock or a roo, so I see who pecks to try and stop me, if anyone runs towards me to confront me, and who just moves aside normally as needed.

2. I'm also nicely picking up some of the group, regardless of resistance; do any boys object and start pecking hands/flaring necks at me to defend the group or themselves?

I don't care if they fight one another, that's normal. There has to be a boss and I usually pick someone near the top who has demonstrated he is ready to be a leader. But I'm not part of that competition and anyone who acts like I am, or acts like I'm a predator, gets voted off of the island.

Best roosters I've had call the hens when they see me coming with food and water, let me step all around and over them without any reaction other than making sure they aren't stepped on, don't flare or peck at any part of me, my feed buckets, my water jugs, or anything really that isn't another rooster.

My most vicious male would not dare look your way as a cockerel, giving you all the space you'd like once you entered the coop. I've stopped trying to weed out aggressive males by how they act. An aggressive male only gets said label when he attacks. Until then, he's not aggressive. I totally agree with Folly's Place that human aggression is linked to genetics, otherwise (as pointed out by her) we would not see such good behaviour in gamefowl males, or some show line birds. I realise that in your case, the need to figure out the aggressive males before an attack happens, so I really do think your best shot is to go with a line that has been proven to be human friendly

I've had three roosters who decided to become human aggressive after their first year. All gradually worked up to actual attacks, and were pretty obvious about it.
Most times, difficult behaviors happen that first year.
Breeds vary; our white Chanteclers from Cackle have been good boys. Half of our Speckled Sussex cockerels from three different hatcheries were nice, and half weren't. The few EE standards, and hatchery RIR's, not so nice. EE bantams, mostly good, as were most of our Belgian d'Uccles, except for our first d'Uccle rooster, a total beast!
Have had a few Wyandotte, French Marans, and Buckeye roosters, all nice, but small numbers.
Is there ever a guarantee? Nope.
Mary

Last edited:
get a breed you like from an established breeder. Do not get hatchery stock. The environment they are bred in rewards aggression and will pass down to the cockerels. It is genetic (not to say it can’t be learned behavior but it is definitely genetic). Actually I once knew a line of Old English Game bantams that were the seeetest things ever until you put them in a pen with females. Then regardless of age they would immediately turn on you.

30 years with Langshans I was never attacked, nor were any other humans including children. I was bitten once doing a vet exam, that bird was dinner that night.

Zero tolerance for man fighting is the way to go about it.

I was going to put a wall of text here detailing my whole rooster experience, but I won't torture you all. Basically, after two bad experiences, I'm determined to find the perfect gentleman rooster. He not only has to be a charmer with the ladies, but he has got to be respectful of his human keepers. But how do you spot these qualities early on? I thought our latest rooster was going to be good, but turns out though he's protective of the ladies, he does not respect us.

So, I've got a batch of chicks in the basement. I'm hoping our future rooster is in there somewhere. But lately, I've been wondering if I even need a rooster. We love hatching out our own chicks, which is why I kept a rooster. But now I'm thinking maybe I could just keep hens and buy cornish cross chicks in the spring for meat. I love the idea of sustainability, but I also don't want to be flogged. I don't want to be watching my back when I'm outside doing chores or worry if my kids will be okay.

What do you look for when you pick out a rooster for your flock? Should I just give up on finding Mr. Right and keep an all-girl flock?
I had a batch of 5 Brahma rooster chicks from Hoovers, all made it and they had thrown in a runt white Brahma. I didn't think he was going to make it, but I sat with him and gave lots of love and treats, held him a lot. He turned out to be the best rooster ever. I have had 6 other roosters, all which ended up going to the local sale barn,the last one that went attacked him and blinded him in 1 eye. But as sweet as the white Brahma is, he is here to stay until he dies. I can hold and pet him, and he has never chased or pecked me, he is the sweetest rooster I have ever seen, my pride and joy. I think it all depends on how much time you want to spend with the rooster as a chick growing up. I spent an hour each morning and night going in the pen and sitting down, letting the chicks climb on me and playful peck me. I take turns holding them and talk to them. Bringing treats like mealworms encourages them to not be afraid of you and that you are good and can be trusted.

I have a Speckled Sussex excelllent Rooster. Purchased from a breader of old stock genetics.
Protection for his hens, gentle when horn dogin😎 great human tolerant.
Gentle breeds will be gentle, freezer camp for all other roosters 😋

Back
Top Bottom