In search of the elusive dark orange yolk

I have been wondering that also. Mine free range and get flock raiser, they just lay regular eggs, lol. I see post about the dark yolks all the time, I've even seen a post of someone who had ordered a salad somewhere and was poking fun at the yolk of the boiled egg on her salad. And all the while I'm over here thinking what am I doing wrong??? lol

I had always thought whole corn gives you nice orange yolks, mine get some daily and have nice yolks.

I have been giving a lot of greens, spinach, kale, spring greens and the egg yolk became orange and they love it. Mine can't free range though but I even noticed a difference just putting grass clippings in with them so I just use any greens I can get really to add to their diet.

Last edited:
Mine get protien in the form of mealworms and bugs, then i give a little bit of dumor scratch, and lastly all the green matter i can muster up. When i skip a few days on any of these extra dietary items their yolks go yellow. Greens and corn seem to make the flavor better and the protien seems to give them or vitality.

for the past several weeks mine have been snacking on pumpkin from the neighbors. Their yolks are really really dark orange since they started to eat the pumpkins.

Is it possible to get the dark, rich yolks when the birds are in a run and can't free range? I've been supplementing alfalfa to their diet as well as some kitchen scraps, to no effect. The eggs are indistinguishable from commercial eggs. They are on Purina Flock Raiser until they all start laying. Then I plan to try Layena, since I've heard it might help.

Does anyone have a secret ingredient that helps?
TIA!

Back
Top Bottom