In Shock

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by punk-a-doodle, Aug 14, 2011.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I can not believe it. That sweet blue lop we just adopted keeled over dead. I knew he was obese, and that being overweight can be serious in rabbits, but never expected that. I was concerned because he was so fat that he wheezed when he lay down in some positions, and he stretched out panting like he was hot even in our 66 degree house. He couldn't even do a proper binky, more like a head flip with a bit of lift, but it was so nice to see him happy. He was still warm and limp when we found him. We both thought he was just sleeping until my husband noticed he wasn't breathing. Appears to have been a heart attack. He had been snuggling into us, puddled in our lap soaking up being pet just a few hours prior. I can not believe that he is gone just like that. We've had him for four days.

2. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG] Four days?? That's not long enough. I am so sorry for you loss [​IMG]

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] You gave him a good home for the short time that you had him. [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Of all the animals that I have dealt with, rabbits are probably the most susceptible to stress. The reactions to the stress of environmental change can vary from enteritis, to pneumonia to sudden death. As you are already aware it is nothing that you did wrong-- somtimes it just happens.

5. Souperchicken

Souperchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    I'm so sorry for you loss.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  6. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I know how you feel. A Few hours ago our guinea pigs died, and im in shock
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by