In terms of roosters, which breed has given you the most success?

Honestly, we’ve had the best luck getting barnyard mix eggs from someone who had a super people-friendly rooster. Both the cockerels that we hatched from his eggs are very friendly. Bonus if the people you get them from have kids also.
I wish I had those kinds of connections! It’s kind of hard to find other people who own chickens near me in an urban-suburban area like mine.

I've never had a hatchery Buckeye, Rock, or Delaware so I wouldn't know if they are different personality-wise or not.
They might be, but it might just be a risk I’m willing to take. My grandparents are new to chicken keeping and are not into exhibition, so I’m wanting to go the less pricey route.
Do hatching eggs from reputable breeders tend to be less expensive than SR chicks from a reputable breeder? (I know some incubators can be expensive but I’m probably going to raise these chicks next spring so I could take advantage when one of my hens goes broody)

They might be, but it might just be a risk I’m willing to take. My grandparents are new to chicken keeping and are not into exhibition, so I’m wanting to go the less pricey route.
Do hatching eggs from reputable breeders tend to be less expensive than SR chicks from a reputable breeder? (I know some incubators can be expensive but I’m probably going to raise these chicks next spring so I could take advantage when one of my hens goes broody)
Yes, because you almost certainly will not have 100% hatch rate. If you want 3 chicks, better off buying 3 st run than 3 eggs

I haven't had a mean rooster yet, but only have had half a dozen.

That said, I had Australorps, some people claim an Australorp looks enough like a crow, that it might make hawks hesitate, but I mean I guess any rooster does that. Australorps are dual purpose and super good egg layers, and mine were friendly enough.

large fowl cochins are pretty chill.

52999751658_c2e2277725_o.jpg

I haven't had a mean rooster yet, but only have had half a dozen.

That said, I had Australorps, some people claim an Australorp looks enough like a crow, that it might make hawks hesitate, but I mean I guess any rooster does that. Australorps are dual purpose and super good egg layers, and mine were friendly enough.
Sounds like a great breed to add to my list!

Back
Top Bottom