In The 'Bator They Are Done W/ PICS

Lucky Ducky

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
Truth or Consequences,NM
lots of eggs!!!!
ya.gif
I have 6 guinea eggs that are developing and due to hatch June 22 or 23. I have 14 BBS Ameracauna eggs that I got from McSpin. I have 15 Showgirl eggs that I got from fowlrus for my DD. Plus another 8 eggs from my own chickies. Three OEGB, two Golden Laced Bantam Cochins and three out of my son's Black Frizzle Roo's (Bloody) pen (he has a cochin x hen, splash cochinhen and a golden laced cochin hen in with him). My husband has said no more chickens, ducks or geese (we've only got 2 geese).
hit.gif
tongue.gif
He knows that I went to the PO to pick up these eggs, soooo he obviously can't count these against me. In his defense, I did add about 100+ chickens this year, 11 ducks and the 2 goslings.
hide.gif
tongue2.gif
hide.gif

I will be candling everything but the guinea eggs tonight. I candled those the other day. The chicken eggs are due to hatch June 23 or 24. I set all of them at night so they'll overlap some. I had 9 guinea eggs in but 3 didn't develop and I removed them. I kinda glanced at a few of the others when I candled the guinea eggs (the chicken ones were only on day 4) and they were growing. You could see their veins and the little blob!!!
wee.gif
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
ep.gif
I'll update after I candle for real. The chicken eggs are on day 7.

Last edited:
Okay, I candled last night and I even looked at the guinea eggs again ( I couldn't resist)!
hide.gif
Out of 14 BBS Ameracauna eggs, I have 4 that I could see veins and movement, 5 that are clear but I'll leave them in until Day 10, 4 that I couldn't see into ( I 'll try again on day 10 with a stronger light) and one that was dead. Not the best results but hey that the chance you take with shipped eggs. These had to come to me in NM from NY, that a long trip! I have all of them marked so I'll check the ones that need to be looked at again this weekend. Now for my Showgirl eggs. These only had to travel to me from TX. I had 15, I stuck 10 in the incubator and 5 under a hen. Unfortunately, I only marked the 10!!!!
hit.gif
My mistake, won't happen again. Out of the 10 that I had marked, 2 are clear but the other 8 are growing wiggly little ones.
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
clap.gif
Out of the 10 that the hen had sat on but she changed her mind and I put them in the incubator, 5 are developing, 2 I'm unsure about, 2 were clear and 1 was dead. Then there's the 3 that I put in there out of my frizzle pen, they are all developing!!!!!
My guinea eggs have growing babies in them and I could see them moving.
tongue2.gif
So out of 43 eggs, I have 26 definitely developing, 6 I'm not sure of, 9 that were clear, and 2 that died. So more than half are developing for sure. About 60 %, more if the others I'm unsure of turn out to be good (74%). I'm pretty pleased. Now if all of the ones that are developing will just hatch out alright!!!!!
fl.gif

Soooooo, I recandled the clears and yup, they were still clear, out they came.
hit.gif
That totaled 9 eggs. Plus, I had 2 others that I had ?s about that I ended up removing. There are still 4 IDKs in there that I'll give until Friday morning.
fl.gif
All 4 are BBS Ameracauna eggies!

clap.gif
sounds like a good assortment.
I'll be hatching with you on the 23rd I have eggs under a broody hen, She is setting on black australorp, Ameraucana , and silver lakenvelders.
I'll be watching for your updates and I'll post when my hen takes her walk with the new chicks.
fl.gif
for a great hatch for us all.

Congradulations Southern chickens on you new wee ones!!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
clap.gif

okiehen - I hope your broody does a great job for you. We've had a total of 11 broodies here this spring. 9 out of 18 hens and both of my adult ducks.
hide.gif
I'm hoping they are done! It was insane trying to figure out where to house them. Luckily my in laws still have a bunch of rabbit cages around, we had to put houses on some of them because they had been removed at some point but it worked out.

Friday evening is when I must stop turning and up the humidity. I'll take a quick peek at my IDK eggs again and if I still can't tell, I'll just
fl.gif
and hope for the best. I just don't want an exploding egg!!!!
sickbyc.gif
My DD keeps on asking me when will her Showgirls hatch, patience my child!
gig.gif
The rest of the eggs are mine.

Tonight is the start of my lock down time!!!!
wee.gif
Starting Monday night, everyone should start hatching. I left the IDK eggs in there because I still don't know if they are going to do anything but hey they aren't stinky so I'm leaving them in there.
idunno.gif
It can't hurt. Unfortunately, there are a couple that looked like they had quit but i'm leaving them for now too.
fl.gif
Everyone has been having their guineas hatch early so I'll have to look every now and then through the windows. I'll have to keep busy with all of the others, it's not like I don't have enough.
lau.gif

Last night started day 26 for my guineas eggs. Imagine my surprise tihs morning one eggs is almost completely zipped.
ya.gif
Luckily for them, I actually stopped turning them Thursday morning!!! It hasn't made much more progress since about 10 but it's in there rocking every now and then!!!
celebrate.gif
I can't wait to see what color it might be, we have 1 pearl roo but 1 of my hens is pearl and the other is slate. I wonder what the pearl and slate color crossed will make.
hu.gif
So it has all started! Now if all of the other will just get a move on too.

Back
Top Bottom