In the coop

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TinyChickenLady, Oct 10, 2011.

1. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

So my new ducks are living with my chickens and they all get along great!
    My question (for now) is can the ducks live on the shavings that I have down now or should I switch to something else like hay? For now, those are my only options. Pine shavings or hay.... Right now I have Timothy hay but I have access to plain hay too.
    What does everyone else use in their coops?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I prefer pine shavings on the coop floor, and straw in the nesting boxes.

3. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Just the answer I was hoping for! That's what I prefer too. Just wanted to make sure it's safe for the new duckies [​IMG]
    Thank you very much

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Just the answer I was hoping for! That's what I prefer too. Just wanted to make sure it's safe for the new duckies [​IMG]
    Thank you very much

I vote for shaving too!!

5. ElizabethinNY

ElizabethinNY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Central NY
    My ducks live on shavings in the summer and in the winter I add straw or old hay on top to make it warmer. They seem to really enjoy the straw or hay in the cooler weather. I put a very thick layer in their duck coop and they snuggle right down in. [​IMG] I'm sure they'd love it in the summer, too, but it doesn't stay as clean as plain shavings.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I use shavings, my floor is actually rubber stall mats, i'll add some straw in the winter months for extra warmth.. i have thrown some of the hay from horses in the nesting area though.

7. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    I am really liking sand on my floor. I have some hay too, but it gets dirty really quickly. I have a dual-purpose house, desiged for ducks, then modified for my 4 hens. I put roosts in, and a second auto-waterer and high hanging food dish for the hens. So far, everyone eats and drinks from the duck level dishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by