In the future I'm thinking of culling one of my flocks, thoughts?

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
In the moment, I've got two flocks, one with 5 Sussex hens and one rooster, (and I like that, so nothing much going to change there) and a mixed breed flock of 6 hen and a rooster.
In the future, I'm thinking that I would prefer to stick with pure breeds, but what to do with the mixed breeds? I'm thinking that once I'm decided what breed I want to raise, I could cull the mixed flock, either buy selling, or if not, by eating.
However, I kind of feel bad about that, as after all I wanted them, and now just because I've changed my mind, I'm thinking of getting rid of them. Thoughts?

Its just that it seems a bit irresponsible, to just change one's mind, and say "Oh, I don't actually want these chickens after all." But I'm probably just over thinking it.
I see.
It would be irresponsible if you were to get rid of your other flock by setting them free or perhaps not taking proper care of them. But you're planning to sell or eat them, which is you taking care of what you started. A+ responsibility

I have two flocks I keep separate from each other. If you decide to go with one lots of people raise chicken to eat it. Lots of people also split their flocks and sell or give away the ones they do not want. Right now I have nine chicks that I hatched and I know at least 4 are roos Austerlarp. I will not be keeping all the roos. Most of them will most likely end up being dinner. I have two types of chickens that are pure breeds and a mix of other types. I have Polishes and Speckled Sussex that are pure breed hens and grown and then the chicks along with a mix of other hens. I am at some point getting a rooster to go with the Polish and the Speckled Sussex. What are in your mixed flock? Sometimes, if it is something that someone else is looking for it can be easier for some people to just give them away. And hens are something that alot of people are willing to take. Is the rooster friendly? That can also make a difference. Friendly roosters can be hard to sometimes to find, so that may be something to consider. Is the mixed flock pure bred birds and just not what you are wanting to breed? Someone else may be looking for what you have....there are a lot of things to consider. I knew when I got my eggs that I wanted a roo or 2 and the hens would stay, but I also knew any other roos would probably be dinner.

I see.
It would be irresponsible if you were to get rid of your other flock by setting them free or perhaps not taking proper care of them. But you're planning to sell or eat them, which is you taking care of what you started. A+ responsibility
Thank you, that makes me feel a bit better!
And I will try hard to sell them first, as I do love them.
In the moment, I'm still trying to figure which breed I like the best, and its really helped to have had various breeds.

Thank you, that makes me feel a bit better!
And I will try hard to sell them first, as I do love them.
In the moment, I'm still trying to figure which breed I like the best, and its really helped to have had various breeds.
There you go, another purpose this flock has served!

I have two flocks I keep separate from each other. If you decide to go with one lots of people raise chicken to eat it. Lots of people also split their flocks and sell or give away the ones they do not want. Right now I have nine chicks that I hatched and I know at least 4 are roos Austerlarp. I will not be keeping all the roos. Most of them will most likely end up being dinner. I have two types of chickens that are pure breeds and a mix of other types. I have Polishes and Speckled Sussex that are pure breed hens and grown and then the chicks along with a mix of other hens. I am at some point getting a rooster to go with the Polish and the Speckled Sussex. What are in your mixed flock? Sometimes, if it is something that someone else is looking for it can be easier for some people to just give them away. And hens are something that alot of people are willing to take. Is the rooster friendly? That can also make a difference. Friendly roosters can be hard to sometimes to find, so that may be something to consider. Is the mixed flock pure bred birds and just not what you are wanting to breed? Someone else may be looking for what you have....there are a lot of things to consider. I knew when I got my eggs that I wanted a roo or 2 and the hens would stay, but I also knew any other roos would probably be dinner.
The rooster is a Cuckoo Orpington x Light Sussex, very handsome and very well behaved so far (he's still fairly young, around 9 months) the hens are one RIR, one Cuckoo Orpington, one SS, two Buff Orpingtons (one with wry tail) and one RIR x Light Sussex, who is very friendly. Do you think there's much chance of selling them as a flock?

Back
Top Bottom