in the future

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chick'n'run, Feb 22, 2009.

1. chick'n'run

chick'n'run Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    i am planning/hoping to get 4-5 chickens and i have a few questions for raising them.

1. can i use the same heater bulb all the time, but just raise it higher as they get older,

2. can i use 1 or 2 hamster cages for raising them, and

3. does anyone have a "guide" to raising chicks?

2. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Your guide is right here on BYC.[​IMG]

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    1. yes i do that all the time it works 2. belive i would want a little more room but just my thoughts 3. the is a great guide.

4. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Depending on what kind of chickens you get, hamster cages are too small-- but a nice Bunny Hutch works great for bantams!!
    Figure a MINIMUM of 2ft square for Bantams and 3square feet per standard bird-- and that is small... PLUS they need outdoor space-- we made a "playpen"for ours last year when we didn't have a run-- just some "push-in" fence posts, a roll of 3' chicken wire all around it, and a sheet of deer&bird netting thrown over the top! Worked great!!! We put a blanket over one end for a shady spot, and they stayed in there most of the day!

The main pages here have great guides... this is where we learned the most, as well as a couple good books from Tractor Supply....

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Welcome to BYC. My best suggestion is to read all the post on here that you can, and by the time the chicks arrive you will have a good basic idea of what's going on. Then keep this site handy and ask for advise as you need it. PPl here are full of help and encouragement. O Yea and most importantly post a lot of pics when you get your chicks and these chicken obsessed ppl will love you forever. LOL. (Me too). Good Luck

6. chick'n'run

chick'n'run Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    well, i have a hamster and 3 extra cages. so...each cage is about x 1'4" ft. but i guess i need to make my own pen.

i also have more questions

1. when can i actually leave the chicks in the coop, and
    2. which hatchery can i order from so i don't get packing peanuts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by