IN THE SHELL

KEarthman

Songster
Oct 27, 2020
Hi!
Can I boil or bake Quail eggs in the shell and feed them to my Laying chickens IN THE SHELL?
They are such a pain to peel that we were trying to see if we could use then to supplement the chicken calcium.

Boiling them in the shell is no problem. If you bake them in the shell, you will want to use a low heat to keep them from exploding. Either way, once they're cooked a, crush them up before you feed them to your birds'. That makes them easier to eat and prevents them from associating good food with eggs so they don't eat their own eggs.

You can also use your Quail eggs for eating and baking too.

@Nabiki may have some tips about peeling the eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-every-part-of-your-quail.76213/
Anything you can do with a chicken egg you can do with quail eggs. Some things are better, such as Scotch eggs. Chicken eggs are too big for those. They're great in ramen too. 1/4 cup is about one large chicken egg if you want to use quail eggs in recipes.

If you know anyone who is allergic to chicken eggs, they may be able to eat quail eggs with no problems.

I don't see why you can't hard boil them, crush them and feed shell and all to your chickens.

Do supply your laying hens with free choice oyster shell too.
We do!
We have some quail we use to train our Pointers and they are laying eggs, but will not set on them. So trying to see if we could fix them for the chickens

Back
Top Bottom