In the Wall Feeder Mk3

jthornton

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
I thought I'd start a separate thread on my tests for a new feeder design that will be inside the dividing wall of my coop. The plan is to fill from outside and only have the feeding end inside the coop. So I made a small test feeder to see how the design will work and if I need to tweak any dimensions. I used only glue to build the feeder. Masking tape was applied to the outside of the inner parts with them laying flat on the table (sorry forgot to photograph that) then glue applied then rolled into shape and left to dry.

feedermk3-01.jpg
feedermk3-02.jpg
feedermk3-03.jpg
feedermk3-04.jpg
feedermk3-05.jpg
feedermk3-06.jpg
feedermk3-07.jpg
feedermk3-08.jpg

JT

I started building a second feeder with a few slight modifications.

This is how I glue the parts up, hmm I forgot to take a photo of step 1... basically I lay all the parts inside face down next to a straight edge and put masking tape across each joint then turn it over and put some glue in each joint then fold it up and use some masking tape to apply a tad of pressure while the glue sets up.
feedermk3b-01.jpg
feedermk3b-02.jpg

The front lip has been shortened by 1/4"
feedermk3b-03.jpg

I use a zip bag full of lead shot for a weight to hold it down while the glue sets.
feedermk3b-04.jpg

So far not one bit of feed has hit the deck from the Mk3 feeder.

The one with round holes they spill a small amount out each day and I find some along the back of the feeder behind the holes. So overall the hole idea is not the best design.

JT

I made the second sides from 1/4" ply I had left over from another project, the 1/2" I used in the first one was a bit over kill. I used masking tape to hold them together while making the cut out and the rounded part. I used the blue masking tape as my guide to draw the arc.

feedermk3b-05.jpg

JT

Based on watching the chicks use the Mk3a and Mk3b feeders I made a couple of minor changes to Mk3c. I also realized it was pointless to have lines higher than the front after cutting the 45°. I'll watch these for a few days and plan on making the one for the wall this weekend.

1. Increased the length of the metering board 1/4"
2. Increased the length of the pull out blocker board1/4"
3. Added an anti-roost board.
feedermk3c-02.jpg

JT

Back
Top Bottom