In this Breeding thread, we post our Breeding Wishes

Pics
what does auto sexing mean? is it like when you can tell from the feather pattern? or is it something else?
Autosexing means you can tell their gender by their color, as chicks and as adults. They breed true that way (Legbar rooster x Legbar hen = Legbar chicks).

Autosexing breeds are different than sex-linked hybrids.

Sexlinks are when someone crosses one breed of rooster with a different breed of hen, and gets chicks that can be sexed by color. But to get more of them, you have to cross the same parent breeds each time. You cannot just breed sexlinks to each other and get more sexlinks.

British Araucanas introduced the blue egg and little crest, but their creators were able to return them to single combs despite this influence in their background. 🤭
That's a misconception, Dr. Reginald Punnett used single comb blue eggers(mongrels by his own account) that came from Chile to create the CCL.

I want to see if I can get single comb blue/green egg laying. (could be a pipe dream from the info I've read that blue eggs seem to be tied to pea comb) W/ slate legs.
The gene that controls whether a chicken lays blue eggs or not is linked to the gene that controls pea comb or not. So they do tend to be inherited together.

But they can be linked in any combination:
blue egg/ pea comb (Ameraucana)
blue egg/ not-pea comb (Cream Legbar)
not-blue egg/ pea comb (Brahma)
not-blue egg/ not-pea comb (Leghorn)

If you don't want to work directly with Cream Legbars, there are some Easter Eggers and some Olive Eggers that also have the linkage of blue egg with not-pea comb. "Starlight Green Eggers" are one of the Easter Egger types that tend to have single combs and lay green eggs.

Only thing about the legbars I don't like is the barring. Not a barring fan.

Cross Legbar hens to a non-barred male of whatever breed you're using to introduce slate legs. All of their daughters will be non-barred, have slate legs, and should lay blue or green eggs depending on the father's breed. 🙂

That's a misconception, Dr. Reginald Punnett used single comb blue eggers(mongrels by his own account) that came from Chile to create the CCL.

Ah, thank you for the correction, I had no idea! I'll go back and edit that post.

If you don't want to work directly with Cream Legbars, there are some Easter Eggers and some Olive Eggers that also have the linkage of blue egg with not-pea comb. "Starlight Green Eggers" are one of the Easter Egger types that tend to have single combs and lay green eggs.

This is true, too!

Y'all will have to forgive me for being a bit slow on the uptake here lately, my niece and nephew gave me the flu and I'm struggling to think straight today. 😅

Ganoi

1666450890134.png

Back
Top Bottom