in this random rambling thread we post random pictures

I keep thinking about all those spiders - I heard most things are poisonous in Australia, snakes, spiders, other spooky things
hide.gif

I wonder about flour though, wouldn't that act like more fuel? Dusty *poof* like?

Fire is scary.
It can an the national fire training center says not to use flower cause it flashes as a dust.

Here are some kids playing with the effect. Language warning
0.jpg

What you will notice is though they can get the dust to flash fire, most of the flour is hitting the ground an the flash fire that they are working hard to cause is so fast that the grass is not catching fire.

People are normally told to cover it with a wet rag, a lid or baking soda. I have a bit of an issue with all 3. A lid only works if it is tight fitting. I am doing good to even have a lid, much less a tight fitting one. An who has a tight fitting lid handy all the time. The wet rag actually works if you can get it on the pan right, but if you dont an the wet rag goes inside the pan the water in the rag will make the oil explode in your face. Baking soda is the best option. But how much of that do you have an where. I have a tiny box buried in the back of the fridge.

I have 3 choices at close hand. Corn meal, flour an sugar. I have 5 pounds of corn meal an 5 pounds of sugar at arms reach. I also have 15 pounds of flour at arms reach. None are great options but one of those is what I myself will use cause that is what I have on hand. If I was fire safe enough to keep a big box of baking soda on hand, I would probably just have a fire extinguisher. How many people have ether? I dont.

I am looking for as video of someone trying flour on a grease fire. I cant find one. Even the video the National Fire training center put out saying not to, for some reason has the part where they try it edited out.

I think I should say that I am not advising anyone else to use flour to put out a fire. It can work but is far from the best idea. I run in to burning houses, you doing the same is not advised. Buy a fire extinguisher made for kitchen fires.

Last edited:
I have a fire extinguisher on the wall of my kitchen. It isn't cute decor, but neither are ashes,
I buy baking soda in bulk, but I would have to go next the stove fire to go get it in the laundry room.

fire is scary.

I will not be showing the flour video to my kid.
or, maybe I should. He is smart he wouldn't play like that... but he is a boy.

"Hey, watch thi-... BOOM!

I have a fire extinguisher on the wall of my kitchen. It isn't cute decor, but neither are ashes,
I buy baking soda in bulk, but I would have to go next the stove fire to go get it in the laundry room.

fire is scary.

I will not be showing the flour video to my kid.
or, maybe I should. He is smart he wouldn't play like that... but he is a boy.

"Hey, watch thi-... BOOM!
Something worth looking at too.

0.jpg

0.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2&tag=confmonefarm-20&linkId=YYG6CKLKVDPI76N4

Back
Top Bottom