in this random rambling thread we post random pictures

My ducks in the greenhouse, i can see from my computer )

ducks.jpg

In the summer, tomatoes grow in this greenhouse, then I thoroughly remove all the tops (tomato leaves are poisonous), and let the ducks come here. The greenhouse is welded from thick steel pipes and channels, the top is welded from thinner metal.
Usually the camera hangs on the street, where ducks walk in the summer, and for the winter I outweigh it inside the greenhouse, pushing it through the gap under the roof. Now the exit to the street is closed, the ducks are walking either in the barn or in the greenhouse, where two doors are currently open. During severe frosts, I drive them out of the greenhouse into a small insulated house.

There is lighting only in this shed, it is completely dark in the greenhouse now. In the barn, the lighting is powered by 12 V voltage, there are just 5 LEDs taken from an ancient shower stall. They do not shine brightly, but enough for the ducks to come to the feeding trough at night.

This the tractor I use for my Banty. Metal conduit was bent as support to make the top oval.
We do get allot of rain here in the fall had to replace the wood on the front.
My better half was just finishing .. There is heavy braid rope to pull it around by hand but have also used the Son's mule.
007.jpg
014.jpg

The fact of the matter is that I lead a semi-parasitic lifestyle, I am unemployed. Once upon a time I worked, basically my job was to repair old government computers, servers, lay local networks, connect and configure mini telephone exchanges, as well as electronic queues. Then, after a few years, I got tired of it and decided to take a break, I just went to work at the nearest McDonald's - to calmly wash the floors there and sell sandwiches, fry potatoes or sit in moneyroom and issue change for cash registers, keep various accounting journals and accept cash from cashiers, and communicate with collectors from the bank, who came once a day. Then I finally got absolute lazy and decided not to work anywhere at all, settled in a house that I had been building for about 20 years, built several sheds and greenhouses nearby, planted a vegetable garden with a garden and began to live on very small means by renting out an old apartment in the city. It brings in little money, but it’s enough to buy food for animals.
And I stopped working, my whole life comes down to the fact that I leisurely build some regular greenhouses, livestock sheds, walk with a herd of goats in the forest, picking mushrooms, nuts and empty jars thrown out by someone from under canned cucumbers (I often collect "free" cans than buy them), well, I also do procurements - either I raise about 300 ducks for meat, then I cut 6-7 goats for meat, then I cook a lot of apple jam when there are a lot of apples around.
I have five relatively large freezers and refrigerators in my house, and underground I have a small cold room where I store canned cucumbers, jam, tomato lecho, apples in boxes with straw and compotes.
Usually, only very old people here who have retired here lead such a way of life, they have some kind of goat, cow or sit fishing on the river, and hardly work.
At one time I thought about getting married, but then I changed my mind, because girls are not interested in such a life, they love clubs and travel, in addition, they need to be looked after, I looked at them and I became too lazy to do it, and I decided to calmly raise geese and not invent for myself in any strange problems.
In addition, I was very spoiled, already used to constantly baking buns for breakfast, eating delicious lunch, sleeping a lot, having enough rooms in the house for leisure, so I move to the city and work there all day only to please a girl who spends money only on clubs and travel is absolutely not interesting to me. and besides, I constantly communicate with animals and clean livestock premises, so I usually wear rather dirty clothes that smell of dung, and the girls absolutely do not like it. In general, I am a terrible slob, I still wear the tattered sweater of my late grandfather, who died more than 25 years ago.
I go to the city no more than 1-2 times a year, the rest of the time I am at home and work in the garden, sheds or walk nearby with the herd, sleep somewhere in the meadow near goats or read books there.
You ..are not..lazy. You are taking good care of your animals, and yourself. Don't blame you for not wanting a women that is interested in worldly pleasures. :)

Last edited:
You ..are not..lazy. You are taking good care of your animals, s d yourself. Don't blame you for not wanting a women that is interested in worldly pleasures. :)
Yes, pets need attention all the time. I already know what I will be doing tomorrow, I will need to make a higher net in the barn. I have one room where I keep guinea fowls and turkeys, it turned out to be news for me (I somehow got used to chickens, and I bought guinea fowls only this year) that guinea fowls fly quite skillfully and cheerfully. They began to fly over the fence into the corridor and land anywhere. In this room, the corridor is separated by a fence two meters high, and in the corridor there is lighting, an electrical panel, as well as a water tank with a pressure switch below on the floor (a pipe from a well is inserted there, so that it is convenient to pour water from taps into the barn).

One of the guinea fowls took off and sat on an open lighting lamp, and broke it off. Fortunately, the lamp was turned off and bird did not get an electric shock, but it did shock me when I tried to turn on the light in the evening and, in bewilderment, started fumbling around with my hand, trying to understand what had happened to the lamp. While I turned off the electricity there in the electrical panel, removed the fragments of the light bulb, and tomorrow I will have to look for another lamp and make a grid from the fence higher to the ceiling so that the guinea fowls do not fly there.

I got the lamp itself from my late grandmother, it lay with me for a long time without use, and then I used it in the corridor of the barn room, it is located high and I did not expect that a bird could take off there and land on it )))

Yes, pets need attention all the time. I already know what I will be doing tomorrow, I will need to make a higher net in the barn. I have one room where I keep guinea fowls and turkeys, it turned out to be news for me (I somehow got used to chickens, and I bought guinea fowls only this year) that guinea fowls fly quite skillfully and cheerfully. They began to fly over the fence into the corridor and land anywhere. In this room, the corridor is separated by a fence two meters high, and in the corridor there is lighting, an electrical panel, as well as a water tank with a pressure switch below on the floor (a pipe from a well is inserted there, so that it is convenient to pour water from taps into the barn).

One of the guinea fowls took off and sat on an open lighting lamp, and broke it off. Fortunately, the lamp was turned off and bird did not get an electric shock, but it did shock me when I tried to turn on the light in the evening and, in bewilderment, started fumbling around with my hand, trying to understand what had happened to the lamp. While I turned off the electricity there in the electrical panel, removed the fragments of the light bulb, and tomorrow I will have to look for another lamp and make a grid from the fence higher to the ceiling so that the guinea fowls do not fly there.

I got the lamp itself from my late grandmother, it lay with me for a long time without use, and then I used it in the corridor of the barn room, it is located high and I did not expect that a bird could take off there and land on it )))
Time to clip some wings! Don't want a fire from a hot lamp breaking.

Time to clip some wings! Don't want a fire from a hot lamp breaking.
The lighting is in the corridor, it is separated by a lattice partition, it was just not up to the half-wall, but lower. There is no electricity in the room where the bird lives, no lamps and no cables. Light enters there through glass windows from outside and through a partition from the corridor.
All the work came down to the fact that it was necessary to nail a block to the wooden ceiling, and install the metal mesh higher.
I don’t want to clip wings, and I don’t even know how )) Besides, the cold winter is coming, it is better to have more feathers.

Now I don't let the bird go outside, although sometimes I open the door of separated corridor so that sunlight does not penetrate there through the glass (so that vitamin D is produced).
The weather now it is not particularly suitable for walking - it periodically rains with sleet, well, it is rather dirty and damp there, and there is almost no grass. It's better to be inside the barn now.

There is a small room, it is about 4 meters long and 6 meters wide, respectively, the grid needed about 3 meters, because there part of the partition is occupied by a door, above which everything is covered with boards from above.

Many animals lived in this room, even goats, but now goats live in the next one, which is much larger, about 26x6 meters, the corridor there is open and goats can walk on it (there is a closed door between these rooms), well, there are also small shelves , about 6 meters long by 60 cm wide. I usually have a very young bird in them, now young Leghorn chickens live there.

It has electric lighting, but it's high up in the ceiling and the goats can't reach it.

Other barns where ducks and geese live do not have 220 volts, they only have 12 volts of lighting. Honestly, I don't know if 12 volts is dangerous for a bird, but since I had a transformer, as well as a couple of sets of LEDs from old shower stalls, I decided to make lighting there for 12 V, and not put 220 Volts there. Although, of course, the electrical wiring is not at the bottom, where geese or ducks could pinch it. A pair of CCTV cameras are also connected to this transformer. The transformer is rated for 500 watts, more than enough for two cameras and two small LED panels.

These LEDs are very old, almost ancient, when I worked for one person in 2003 year, they were connected in his bathroom. Then many years passed, he threw out this bathtub and put a new one, and I got the LEDs and an acrylic bathtub. Now this bath is used in the summer for bathing geese.

In the future, I want to build a pool for them, but have not yet collected enough materials for this. I go along a fairly cheap path - at first I collect a lot of old, but not rotten, reinforcement and metal, and only after that I start concrete work. I want to make a rectangular concrete bath of about 6x4 meters, with a slope to one side, so that dirty water can be drained through a pipe with a valve, and the bath itself can be tiled. I don't buy tiles, I collect them from everywhere, they are of different colors and sizes, but I think the geese will not be offended. But I will probably make the depth of this pool small, in the region of 60 cm, i.e. counting on a goose swimming, and nothing more.

Of course, it's good to have a lake or river nearby, but the nearest river is 3 km from my house, and this forest river is more a stream than a river, it has water only in spring, after the snow melts. and in summer it sometimes dries up so much that there is almost nothing at the bottom, except for a couple of puddles and wet sand. There is water only where beavers live, they somehow know how to make small ponds there.

Back
Top Bottom