in this random rambling thread we post random pictures

FB_IMG_1634612970483.jpg

This summer there were so many apples here, so many that every three days I cooked a whole pot of jam, canning can after can. Now this jam for baking buns will be enough for me for five years )))
In this year i did not get enough onion, because the winter was unstable - it began to rain and the snow melted, then immediately after that there was a severe frost, and then it rained again, and again frost, absolutely stupid weather. This time, I think to postpone the planting of onions (here they are usually planted in autumn) and parts of garlic in the spring. This is not very convenient, because in the spring there is a lot of other work, but i have to do this.

I am not a farmer and I lead a "semi-parasitic" lifestyle - there are serious farms and farmers working a lot, and I only buy young animals from them, and often I buy some non-pedigree or surplus for a pittance. I do not have a farm, but some kind of parody of a farm - on the one hand, I keep a relatively large number of poultry and goats, on the other, I do not sell anything at all, but I myself feed on the surplus, choosing an old or sick poultry for meat, which has become too much. All the rest live with me as half-pets.

Be that as it may, keeping poultry here is much more profitable than buying meat in the store, even if most of them are pets, and only a small part is used for meat. They produce a lot of manure, the price of which is very high as fertilizer for the garden, and at least I can safely grow vegetables and fruits for myself for food ))

I grow part of the feed in the garden, but I buy a significant part, in other things it is still inexpensive, and not far, I just order a truck with hay, wheat and other feed, it is brought in and unloaded. In the summer I spend less because there is a lot of free grass around and a lot of things from the vegetable garden. Of course, I mow some of the grass and then put the hay in the attic, but it's not enough and I still have to buy it. Basically, if I kept one or two goats, I would easily mow enough hay, but I keep 20-30 goats. Unfortunately, it was not possible to combine mowing grass and walking goats, goats climb to eat cut grass, thinking that it is tastier than the rest, and they get in the way. Therefore, for half a day I walk with goats, and I rarely and not enough grass for the winter.

But the premises for animals I have are quite capital and well-insulated, geese and ducks even have greenhouses for walking in winter.
As I am you sound like the same ......here they call me a hobby farmer as i basically just grow for myself although i do raise broilers which is a fast growing meat chicken which I sell a portion of each year ............large ones are going for $30 to $35 a bird slaughtered and packaged , but i just worry about myself and the family .I might start growing veggies etc for selling as my garden is very large and if i planted closer i could feed aa whole city block ....lol.....

As I am you sound like the same ......here they call me a hobby farmer as i basically just grow for myself although i do raise broilers which is a fast growing meat chicken which I sell a portion of each year ............large ones are going for $30 to $35 a bird slaughtered and packaged , but i just worry about myself and the family .I might start growing veggies etc for selling as my garden is very large and if i planted closer i could feed aa whole city block ....lol.....
I am now being tortured with dumplings with goat meat. In a goat carcass, good meat is on the hams, as well as in the neck and back, and the meat near the ribs is rather tasteless, although it is quite edible. For a while I cut goats for meat, and we ate the best meat, and I put the meat on the ribs in the freezer. Now I have one of the freezers full of these ribs, I don't even know, there must be about 40-50 kg of this tasteless meat, but I decided to start eating it. I defrost it in parts, cut it with a knife, removing the bones, and pass the rest through a meat grinder with onions. This minced meat is then suitable for making second-rate pizza, as well as dumplings. I have been eating these dumplings and pizza for the second month already, and if at first they seemed quite tasty to me, now it is already some kind of torture with dumplings. :lol: I am thinking of going to town next week and buying some "Japanese" food, some fish rolls with rice, sushi or something else, because goat dumplings will soon be my nightmares. :lol:
The only idea that would be nice to implement is to make stuffed peppers by mixing this minced goat meat with boiled rice and putting bell pepper inside, and stewing it in tomato sauce.
I boil the cut ribs from the goat meat in an old saucepan, and then give them to the chickens to peck. They peck up the remains of boiled meat and fat, after which they lay more eggs.
And I give the big bones from the hams to the dog, but he eats them raw, although before that I freeze them for one month in the freezer.

I am now being tortured with dumplings with goat meat. In a goat carcass, good meat is on the hams, as well as in the neck and back, and the meat near the ribs is rather tasteless, although it is quite edible. For a while I cut goats for meat, and we ate the best meat, and I put the meat on the ribs in the freezer. Now I have one of the freezers full of these ribs, I don't even know, there must be about 40-50 kg of this tasteless meat, but I decided to start eating it. I defrost it in parts, cut it with a knife, removing the bones, and pass the rest through a meat grinder with onions. This minced meat is then suitable for making second-rate pizza, as well as dumplings. I have been eating these dumplings and pizza for the second month already, and if at first they seemed quite tasty to me, now it is already some kind of torture with dumplings. :lol: I am thinking of going to town next week and buying some "Japanese" food, some fish rolls with rice, sushi or something else, because goat dumplings will soon be my nightmares. :lol:
The only idea that would be nice to implement is to make stuffed peppers by mixing this minced goat meat with boiled rice and putting bell pepper inside, and stewing it in tomato sauce.
I boil the cut ribs from the goat meat in an old saucepan, and then give them to the chickens to peck. They peck up the remains of boiled meat and fat, after which they lay more eggs.
And I give the big bones from the hams to the dog, but he eats them raw, although before that I freeze them for one month in the freezer.
You should try smoking the ribs , we used to do that with sheep ribs .Soak in a brine of whatever you like , then slow smoke ...........worth a try and they will have a more appealing taste .I know what it is to eat the same thing to long , spices etc does change it but after a while it all seems the same

Back
Top Bottom