in this random rambling thread we post random pictures

20220515_150030.jpg

Here, foxes and stray orphan dogs sometimes annoy me, trying to get into poultry houses and kill and eat someone. But most often this problem is not very critical, because at one time I strengthened these buildings. Of the wild animals, I have only seen moose here, but they are rare here, for some reason they live a little south of Moscow, and I live north. I have also seen wild boar droppings, but I have never seen a wild boar here (and, to be honest, I am not very eager to have such an encounter, because wild boars are usually large and can be aggressive).
There is almost no pronounced poisonous grass here, occasionally nightshade sprouts, imported with hay from somewhere in the southern regions, but it does not stay here for a long time, it grows like a weed only in greenhouses, and if it is removed, it will no longer grow. The only poisonous plant here is yellow buttercups, but if they are cut and dried well in the sun, they practically lose their poisonous properties.
Otherwise, all the grass here is very fodder, so I don’t fight weeds much, more often I keep a rather unkempt garden, which I weed when there is a lot of grass there. I just rip it out so that it does not interfere with cultivated plants, put it in a wheelbarrow and take it to the geese, the geese love to eat grass. The paths between the beds are often overgrown with me, but I don’t even weed out there, but just periodically mow this grass with a scythe, sickle, or a long knife that looks like a Cuban machete. I give the cut grass to the goats.
There are no raccoons here, and for some reason there are no snakes at all here, there are only very small harmless lizards. On the other side of the Moscow region there are snakes - snakes, as well as poisonous vipers, but here in 25 years I have never seen a single one. Either the local hills are too dry, or the soil freezes too much in winter, or it is because there are many birds of prey here like kites, only I forgot the name of these birds. There is a bird that looks like a kite, but it does not hunt chickens, but mainly catches mice, sometimes rats, and possibly young snakes. There are a lot of these birds here, they constantly dive down to grab a careless mouse.At the same time, they are not at all interested in young chickens. What can not be said about magpies and ravens - these birds are very annoying and dangerous, and I always keep young poultry in barred rooms.
There is almost no horse manure here, there is only one horse in all the village where about 2000-3000 people live, it is some kind of small horse, about the size of a young donkey, but I know for sure that this is not a pony. The owner of the horse earns by riding small children on it.
Someday in the future, I also want to buy a horse, but I am not a rich person, and horses are quite expensive here.
Moreover, I have no experience in working with horses. I'm thinking of taking a simple path - I'll just buy for a pittance some very old horse, written off from some Moscow hippodrome, and I'll walk it, keeping it just like that, for the sake of manure. I heard that it is good to grow champignons on horse manure. In other words, I have been wanting to implement this idea for ten years, but so far there is no way. After I have had some experience with this very cheap horse, I might think of getting another, decent one.
P.S. And so - well, it’s customary for us to look at what year, if the summer is cold and rainy, we plant more cabbage, because cabbage tolerates cold more easily and loves watering. But it is easier for me to reason, because I am not a farmer, I am not bound by any obligations, and everything that I grow, I eat myself, i.e. I can plant anything, I don’t have any contracts, according to which I will have to grow potatoes, or cabbage, or, of course, wheat. The place where I live is called the "Risk Farming Zone", where the harvest can be unpredictable, the summer can be dry, and then it will be difficult to grow cabbage, or very cold, because of which corn can fail. Usually only onions grow stably and reliably here. Therefore, farmers from our area do not grow anything but onions, but at the same time they are harvested by truckloads of onions.
Your summers sound a lot like mine ....last year i already was planting and so far this year it's wet and cool ? But i follow what my mother always said ...........plant after a new moon and thus i do .Lot's of horses here and occasionally some one will advertise free manure but over all i just compost with a bit of pig manure especially for my corn .I plant everything plus flowers for germination .......lot's of bee's so feed them and they help me .Myself i do my utmost best to be weed free .......most people when they see my garden always comment that there are no weeds ? ...........I usually tell them i tried them once and didn't like them ...lol.......................Best of luck with your garden , keep posting Pictures Pasha .........once mine is ready i hope to share as well

Back
Top Bottom