kittennoodlesoup

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Da Burgh
My Coop
My Coop
Hello.

Newbie chick owner here, and I'm wondering if my one chick is okay.
The chick appears to be eating and drinking fine, but all her movements are slower and more deliberate than all the other chicks. She doesn't race around like the others, and tends to doze standing on her feet.

Her poos seem okay, if a little loose. There's no sign of pasting. If anything interesting happens, she perks up and pays attention (eyes bright & alert, etc) but goes back to dozing if nothing new happens. She appears to be gaining weight just fine, as she's the largest of my chicks.

The best way I can describe her behavior is to say that if my five chicks were all Mythbusters, this one chick would be Jamie Hyneman.

Basically, the only things that worry me are her lack of hyperactivity, her standing dozing, and the fact her tail tends to droop a bit when she's dozing.

Should I be worrying?

Keep feeders and waterers full
Make sure the waterer is clean. Chickens will be less inclined to drink dirty water, and a dehydrated bird can quickly become ill or die
Make sure they all look active, bright and healthy. Make an appointment with your vet if they don't.
Collect and refrigerate eggs, pointy side down for maximum freshness.

Water is changed about 3 to 4 times a day.
The chicks are being fed medicated feed (since they are banties I have to pulverize in a blender to make sure they eat).
Being only a week old, eggs are not an issue.

Brooder was completely cleaned out at the one week mark.

I doubt my vet would look at chickens.

Does anybody else have any ideas?

This is my chick exactly. Whatever happened with yours? I've started wondering if maybe she is blind or deaf but she seems to respond sights and sounds. Yet, she did get stuck out side because although she was standing next to the door, she didn't appear to know it was there because she doesn't walk around very much. Shy?

Back
Top Bottom