Inactive hens

ruralchick3

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 26, 2013
I have 3 hens. One has swollen eye,the red skin around eye. I think it is coryza. Treateing with sulmet in water. Given two doses. Yesterday and today. My concern is that they insist on staying in the coop. I put them in the yard yesterday . They scratched around but kept close to entrance to coop. Definitely not their usual level of activity? They have been in coop all week .Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on?

Why do you think it is coryza? A swollen eye is probably a respiratory disease, but there are several that can cause this. Do you have a picture of your chicken's eye? Sulmet would treat coryza, but if it is mycoplasma or something else it might not. Sulmet is a hard drug on chickens--tough on the kidneys. Is there any pus in the eye, a bad smell, or thick nasal drainage? Here is a list of respiratory diseases and symptoms--I would read about mycoplasma, infectious bronchitis, coryza: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

There is a type of "goop" in the eye. No nasal drainage, no smell and it has not worsened. It is just not improving and her energy is very low. I will get a picture of her eye today and check out the link you sent.
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom