Inbreeding problems in geese

razvanM

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 14, 2012
Are geese having problems due to Consanvinization ? I know that siblings are not to breed with each other,but lets say that the gander's mother was sister withe the goose's mother.Are cousin geese ok to mate with eachother ?

Are geese having problems due to Consanvinization ? I know that siblings are not to breed with each other,but lets say that the gander's mother was sister withe the goose's mother.Are cousin geese ok to mate with eachother ?
I have no idea what Consanvinization means I'll have to look that up.

I'm afraid I also don't know what Consanvinization means and suggest it s a spelling error. Nothing in the dictionary (English UK) or on the internet.
hu.gif

Line breeding is well practiced to define a type within breeding and indeed we have used this in establishing our line of Buff Dewlaps. Parent to offspring is acceptable but often health problems arise with brother to sister matings.

I would advise getting hold of a copy of Oscar Grow's book on Waterfowl which contains further and more detailed reading on this topic.

Pete
wink.png

I think the original poster may have meant consanguinity which means closely related. It is an interesting question though as I wouldn't think it possible to constantly have new genetics when you are trying for a specific result or type. I am glad to know that I could keep future generations of the same line going.

On inbreeding you have to know what you are doing if not you can get some awful results in line or in breeding. Best to start with a pair of geese that are not related at all. Then breed the two of them keep an offspring that has type that you like then take it back to the parent. This will start you locking in on traits that you like and are looking for. Never breed brother to sister. When we were in showing cats there were people out there who wanted certain types and would do anything to get it. Well it brought out some of the best and more of the worst that could happen. It was awful to hear of the things that was born from those experiments.

This thread is very old, but still relevant to those trying to help establish populations of rare types, such as Pilgrim Geese. I just read a fascinating article on inbreeding in geese with a program to help save a variety of Hawaiian goose in the 60s. I accidentally closed the research (doh!) before saving it, but the results were that inbreeding for these geese did not effect fertility as much as husbandry, length of time the breeding pair have been bonded, and type of incubation. One population set even exhibited no detrimental effects from very close inbreeding and one island's entire population were very close genetically. Some breeding programs attempt to obtain a 50% inbreeding status to save traits of exceptional animals (breeding parent to progeny or siblings). SO ... yes you can inbreed and safely probably for a couple of years. But if you are trying to help establish robust, healthy, population of rare types, you should also consider husbandry, selection, and incubation methods! https://extension.missouri.edu/publications/g2911

I'm not trying to breed geese, but I was curious about mating habits. The son of two of my geese was mating with his mom today. And I was wondering if that was normal. From a couple posts here, it looks like parent-to-child breeding is a thing?

Back
Top Bottom