1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Inbreeding?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Foghorn, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    When I placed my order, I also got a Barred Rock cockerel along with a few other Barred Rock pullets. Would I be right in saying they could be from the same bloodlines? Would they produce some "wierd" chickens?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  2. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi,
    From what I've read inbreeding happens when you repeatedly breed brother to sister over time. I guess it is possible that your barred rocks cockeral is related to your barred rock pullets but I don't think there is a way to know that for sure. It's preferable to breed father to daughter. If you were to hatch the eggs you will get from these chickens then you could put those new pullets with your rooster (his daughters). Adding a new rooster would be something you would want to do down the road I think. I hope that helps, I'm far from an expert so if anyone knows more about this I'd love to hear it too. Jen

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chances are they are not brother and sister if they are from a large hatchery. You should be fine. To be sure though you should pick up a roo from else where.

4. bwhite28

bwhite28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    Southeastern PA
    The chances are really slim i wouldnt worry about it.

5. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    The chances of them being brother and sister are slim to none. I wouldn't worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by