Inbreeding?

Rememberthedeer

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
I breed rabbits every year, but my main pair are getting old-ish and I want to start breeding a younger doe. I have a white flemish giant doe that I'm looking to breed, but I have a problem. All the bucks available is either her father or one of her many brothers. (Because anyone in the area who has one originally bought it from me) I don't want to inbreed rabbits and cause problems, but I've heard that it's ok to breed siblings, but not parent and child. Is this true? If I bred my doe with one of her brothers would that result in inbreeding problems?

It would actually be better to breed a parent to the offspring. It's a method used by many breeders called "line breeding". Siblings are too similar genetically, and while you may not have many visible issues if you are breeding for meat, it would not be advisable for any long term breeding project.

If I did breed her to her father, (who is almost 5 yrs old now) would that cause any problems? Would the babies have any sort of birth defect or something wrong with the meat? (I raise to both sell as pets and for meat) Sorry if I sound paranoid, but I don't want to end up doing something stupid.

If I did breed her to her father, (who is almost 5 yrs old now) would that cause any problems? Would the babies have any sort of birth defect or something wrong with the meat? (I raise to both sell as pets and for meat) Sorry if I sound paranoid, but I don't want to end up doing something stupid.

There is an increased probability that undesirable recessive traits will be expressed when you inbreed. So something might pop up...but then again, it might not. The first generation will probably be just fine. Any more generations, you run the risk of developing problems if you do not do any outcrossing.

To bring in new blood, you may have to travel a bit out of your area. But for your long term breeding goals, it is probably a wise decision.

Ok, thanks. I don't want any problems so I'll search the web for any bunnies within driving distance. Thanks for the advice everyone, you have all been most helpful. =)

Back
Top Bottom