1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incandescent bulbs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by doxies1, Jan 30, 2011.

1. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    Just a thought. We all better be thinking about how we are going to heat our brooders in the future. Incandescent bulbs are being phased out all over the world. We'll be ok in the U.S. for a while, but as specialty bulbs brooder bulbs will skyrocket in price.
    See--- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs

2. Welsummer Rancher

Welsummer Rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Longview, Texas
    Folks may just have to go back to old style brooders, like, say, kerosene brooders.

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    need to stock up, i hate those new ight bulbs

4. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    sad to say, but ceramic heat emitters are going to be in our future... too bad they are so expensive...

but i doubt they will stop making heat bulbs for reptiles and stuff... so maybe we aren't out of luck... although heat lamps for reptiles are expensive too...

[​IMG]

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Yea, there not going away completely. There just being fazed out for normal household lighting use.

6. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    I have a Brinsea Eco-Glo and love it. I also plan to use cold brooders when they are a bit older but I don't have to deal with weather nearly as cold as some of you in the USA.

Incandescent household bulbs are already gone in Australia but those reptile lights and ceramic globes are available.

Mind you, it was cheaper to buy the Eco-Glo from the 'net than to get a normal heat lamp and globe set from the local stock feed places. [​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Anything labeled as specialty will be around such as heat lamps or reptile lamps.

8. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:please explain... pics would also rock...

wait... light bulbs are called globes in australia...? what's an eco-glo...?

9. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    lol Bulbs, globes same thing. Just one of those things like you have a hood and trunk on a car and we have a bonnet and boot. Got to love the English language. [​IMG]

This is my Eco-Glow. My chicks are in there but they like their 'momma' and are all under it.
    [​IMG]

What do you know, it does have the 'W' on the end, I could have sworn it didn't when I ordered it from the Aussie supplier lol
    Here is the link to the US site http://www.brinsea.com/prod-EcoGlow_Chick_Brooder-239.aspx

EDIT
    : I'll take a pic in the morning with them peeking out. I have reorganized it and put the Eco-Glow in the middle so they can't tip water into their food. [​IMG]
    Messy little critters! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  10. CorgiHouse

CorgiHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    How many chicks fit under that? And how long can you use it until the chicks 'outgrow' it? Looks like a pretty cool setup!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by