Incandescent lights, no longer. Now what?

Darklingstorm

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
Durant, Oklahoma
Just heard on the news that they will no longer be making incandescent light bulbs.
So what are the options for brooders and homemade incubators? I can stock up, but eventually they will run out. I tried to use a heat lamp (big light bulb) and it was way too hot. It even melted the plastic tote (no chicks were in the box at the time), I had to hang it almost 2 feet above the brooder tote to get it to the right temperature.

Quote:
I had to look it up (the news didn't specify)

"In 2012 the law requires manufacturers to offer bulbs that are about 25% more energy efficient than traditional 100-watt incandescent bulbs. The law covers 75-watt bulbs in 2013 and 60- and 40-watt bulbs in 2014." according to KTEN.com (my local news).

Quote:
Some home improvement stores sell red "landscape/spotlight" bulbs that are between 85 and 100 watts. They work good for brooders when the big heat lamp bulbs are too hot.. I hope they don't ban those too.
sad.png

at least we have some time but eventually we are going to have to find alternatives.
So what are the alternatives (don't want to wait till they are very expensive to get)?

Here is what I figure... Some congressman has to many silkie hens gone broody nd wants to sell them as incubators, but can't. So, get rid of the 100 wt bulb... Five people to buy his silkies at outrageous prices and Wala! Now he can buy gold plated toilet cozies.

Quote:
I had to look it up (the news didn't specify)

"In 2012 the law requires manufacturers to offer bulbs that are about 25% more energy efficient than traditional 100-watt incandescent bulbs. The law covers 75-watt bulbs in 2013 and 60- and 40-watt bulbs in 2014." according to KTEN.com (my local news).

This is the way I understood it to be also.

Back
Top Bottom