Incandescent lights, no longer. Now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Darklingstorm, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Just heard on the news that they will no longer be making incandescent light bulbs.
    So what are the options for brooders and homemade incubators? I can stock up, but eventually they will run out. I tried to use a heat lamp (big light bulb) and it was way too hot. It even melted the plastic tote (no chicks were in the box at the time), I had to hang it almost 2 feet above the brooder tote to get it to the right temperature.

2. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Hopefully, you can stock up on enough to last you a year or two, and then perhaps Congress will come to their senses and repeal this law.

3. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    The way I understand it its only 100 watt bulbs for now..cva34

4. hamilton3475

hamilton3475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Alabama
    In my opinion. It should be up to the citizens to decide which bulb they use in their homes

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I've worried about this too.

6. Darklingstorm

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Quote:I had to look it up (the news didn't specify)

"In 2012 the law requires manufacturers to offer bulbs that are about 25% more energy efficient than traditional 100-watt incandescent bulbs. The law covers 75-watt bulbs in 2013 and 60- and 40-watt bulbs in 2014." according to KTEN.com (my local news).

7. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Quote:Some home improvement stores sell red "landscape/spotlight" bulbs that are between 85 and 100 watts. They work good for brooders when the big heat lamp bulbs are too hot.. I hope they don't ban those too.[​IMG]

8. Darklingstorm

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    at least we have some time but eventually we are going to have to find alternatives.
    So what are the alternatives (don't want to wait till they are very expensive to get)?

9. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Here is what I figure... Some congressman has to many silkie hens gone broody nd wants to sell them as incubators, but can't. So, get rid of the 100 wt bulb... Five people to buy his silkies at outrageous prices and Wala! Now he can buy gold plated toilet cozies.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I had to look it up (the news didn't specify)

"In 2012 the law requires manufacturers to offer bulbs that are about 25% more energy efficient than traditional 100-watt incandescent bulbs. The law covers 75-watt bulbs in 2013 and 60- and 40-watt bulbs in 2014." according to KTEN.com (my local news).

This is the way I understood it to be also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by