Inconsistency with humidity help!

smvettechmom

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Roseburg oregon
I’m supposed to put my eggs in lockdown today. I am a newbie with a 20 egg sailnovo. I am incubating serama eggs as well as some silkie/polish crosses. The digital humidity says 36, the two dial humidity gauges say 58 and 52… I am stressing! Any tips? Here is a picture of the condensation if it helps… it’s only on that side. I’ve just been using a moist sponge in the bottom as that has seemed to be the easiest way to stay consistent. Once they go into lockdown I won’t be able to see the other gauges as they are inside. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 6
Given the condensation, I think the two gauges with the higher reading are more likely to be correct, not the lower one.

As a practical matter, since none of the gauges agree, I would just continue with your wet sponge, make sure it is nicely wet, and see how things go. The condensation is a sign that your humidity is not too badly low, and during lockdown you don't really have to worry about having the humidity too high. So just have it as high as you easily can, and hope for the best.

Not sure if either reading is correct with all that condensation.

just a yellow household sponge
A sponge will help with raising humidity, but they tend to dry out fast and are not as consistent as finding the right water surface area. It's not necessarily the amount of water in incubator that raises humidity it's the surface area of that water in incubator.

I’m supposed to put my eggs in lockdown today.
Wouldn't worry much now you're in lockdown as you want higher humidity. I would just calibrate your hygrometers for future use so you know where your at. Not as crucial now in lockdown as in incubation period. There is also a way to monitor your air cells to see shrinkage. Let us know how things turn out for you. GOOD LUCK. :thumbsup

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom