Increase amaryllis offset bulbs

Hatching

Songster
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
Hello everyone, I hope someone will be able to help me. Anyways I started with 2 amaryllis bulbs and over the years they have divided into 5 now blooming sized bulbs 1 from one bulb and 2 from the other. Is there any way to increase the number of offset bulbs they produce? I really like one variety and would like to make more of them. All 5 of my bulbs are still in the same pot that the 2 started in as it was big enough. Should I give them more room to produce offsets? I heard the amaryllis like being root bound so I never transplanted them.

Thank you

I know that you can propagate hyacinth by cutting the bulb from the bottom. You cut an X into the bulb vertically through the root zone, about 1/2 the depth of the bulb. You then let it dry out a bit, and plant it. It will produce bulbils at the wound sites. You'd be able to get specific details from any web site or good plant book dealing with propagation. Personally, I'd try repotting them in fresh soil and see what happens. If I were a plant, that would make me want to be fruitful!

I know that you can propagate hyacinth by cutting the bulb from the bottom.  You cut an X into the bulb vertically through the root zone, about 1/2 the depth of the bulb.  You then let it dry out a bit, and plant it.  It will produce bulbils at the wound sites.  You'd be able to get specific details from any web site or good plant book dealing with propagation.  Personally, I'd try repotting them in fresh soil and see what happens.  If I were a plant, that would make me want to be fruitful!  
I've heard of this for amaryllis too but i think it kills the mother bulb after bulblets are produced; and I'd rather keep the mother bulb alive. If anyone has done this and knows more about it and the fate of the mother bulb please let me know

Back
Top Bottom