Increasing daylight and some odd light related behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by forestrymom, Nov 7, 2011.

1. forestrymom

forestrymom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    I live in Montana and our daylight is dwindling. I put a light with a timer to come on at 6 am and give them a couple extra hours, but they are going to bed 2 hours before sunset, so it really didn't make a difference. Should I have it come on at night too?

Also, its been pretty cold. -5F for a few days now, as our low. They are ready and waiting to come out of the coop in the morning, though and stay mostly outside all day.

Could there be something aside from the light giving them lower energy?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    How are they laying? Mine stay in theglowof the light, but are not active. Production has not dropped. If production drops, then I would discontinue the lights. But don't be discouraged by lack of action. Most of the day they are relaxing too.

3. forestrymom

forestrymom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    Well, my production hasn't been very good for several weeks. 3 of my hens are molting, and I only have 5 hens. I have 9 pullets, and only 2 have started laying. So its hard to say for sure.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I keep a 7 watt night light in each of my coops. My birds are laying good. I used to have a timer but found the night light works well.

5. papeine

papeine Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Hastings
    Quote:I thought the reason for the light was to keep them laying...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by