Why do my chickens spend most of their time in the coop?

Someone told me hay is more of an issue than straw for compaction.

I'm also a bit concerned about impaction because my girls LOVE to eat bedding, wood chips, etc.
I'm tempted to give them some straw. I've been hesitant in the past because I've heard straw can cause impacted crops. Is that not something I should really worry about?
Normally chickens will only eat the little pieces of straw or the left over grain. They will probably not eat the big long stringy pieces.
Straw is a great example of a boredom buster as well!

Is there any possibility that there is a predator in the area? I've noticed this sort of behavior when there is a hawk in the area.
I don't think it's a predator issue. This is a daily occurrence and I haven't seen any tracks in the snow. They're pretty protected from aerial predators in their run and most hawks have also migrated out of our region by now.

Perhaps it's just a boredom issue and we can find some more ways to entertain them.

Using a sun shade fabric would be better. It's breathable and blocks wind and snow.
Are they not afraid of the shade fabric? I'd be concerned it wouldn't provide enough wind block and wouldn't allow light through. I was considering upgrading to clear PVC panels this year but we already had the giant roll of plastic sheeting.

Last year we had some frostbite issues on our rooster's comb so we went taller with the wind break this year. They are definitely spooked by it when I move the one side that can be rolled back but as long as it's not moving they seem fine about it. When it's in place it's pretty taught and doesn't really move in the wind. Maybe they feel safer in the coop where there's no scary plastic?
That's why I asked about the timing of their staying in the coop in relation to when the plastic was installed. They may just need time to get used to it.

Don't lock them out of the coop. If that's where they feel safe, you'll just add a lot of stress.
Lots of great advise flowing, but if that's where they want to be and they got all their needs met then leave them to their comfort zone.

I will add my older birds (3 yrs) spend way more time just lounging around in the barn when it's not full sun out, where the younger pullets love to stray out further no matter what the weather.

Are they not afraid of the shade fabric? I'd be concerned it wouldn't provide enough wind block and wouldn't allow light through. I was considering upgrading to clear PVC panels this year but we already had the giant roll of plastic sheeting.
I tried both on my wire fence and they prefer the sun screen nylon fabric. The kind I use is not a tight knit fabric there's tiny gaps all throughout the fabric. And it does block the wind and still breathable. I even used it on my coop windows.

Don't lock them out of the coop. If that's where they feel safe, you'll just add a lot of stress.
Lots of great advise flowing, but if that's where they want to be and they got all their needs met then leave them to their comfort zone.
This is why no one should ever listen to me. I'm a bait member used to attract other members that know what they're talking about! 😂

Back
Top Bottom