Incubatating laying on the side on pointy end down

cardi0

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2023
Hi,
I've found different info online.
Some say to lay the eggs on the side for incubation others to lay it on the side only on the 14th day & keep it upright up to that point.
Who is right?
Also optimum humidity for Coturnix Japonica is ~45+% for incubation and 65+% in lockdown. Correct?
Thanks for help.

I’ve incubated both ways. Laying on their sides the full incubation period and hand turning them 3-5 times per day in my manual incubator. I’ve also incubated them pointy side down in my Brinsea for 14 days then laid them on their sides for lockdown. Both ways have been successful for me. Also 45% and 65% have worked for me. That humidity works for my incubators and home environment.

QUAIL ARTICLES HERE

I’ve incubated both ways. Laying on their sides the full incubation period and hand turning them 3-5 times per day in my manual incubator. I’ve also incubated them pointy side down in my Brinsea for 14 days then laid them on their sides for lockdown. Both ways have been successful for me. Also 45% and 65% have worked for me. That humidity works for my incubators and home environment.

QUAIL ARTICLES HERE
Thanks for the prompt answer. Much appreciated. What about manual turning during sleep hours? Is 8h too much for them to be left unturned? I've had little success in previous tries.

Hi,
I've found different info online.
Some say to lay the eggs on the side for incubation others to lay it on the side only on the 14th day & keep it upright up to that point.
Who is right?
Also optimum humidity for Coturnix Japonica is ~45+% for incubation and 65+% in lockdown. Correct?
Thanks for help.
I have three incubators with automatic turners. One is a Little Giant with a turner that holds the eggs pointy side down. One has rollers that hold the eggs on their sides and turn that way. The third has a divided tray that gets moved back and forth throughout the incubation time (I have eggs in this one for my first hatch with it). I'm still working out the humidity and suspect my sensors have been reading very low (8 -10 %) so my hatch rates haven't been all that great. I've tried to keep humidity at 65% based on the Govee sensors that were recommended. Since they were reading so low, humidity was probably closer to 75%. I'm hoping that this hatch will be better now that I've realized the problem with my sensors. I recently bought some a couple of IncuTherm themometer/hygrometers that appear to be very accurate out of the box (using a salt test for humidity).

Thanks for the prompt answer. Much appreciated. What about manual turning during sleep hours? Is 8h too much for them to be left unturned? I've had little success in previous tries.
I’ve never had a problem during sleep hours. Make sure you turn an odd number times per day so the eggs are left for longest on a different side each night and not the same side every night. I mark eggs with an X on one side and a O on the other so I know they have been turned.

Oh wow.
I always did an even number of times.
Such a simple solution yet it never came to my mind.
Thank you sir!

Back
Top Bottom