incubate bigger egg that came with shipped eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chkinut, Dec 19, 2010.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    hey guys....question....i got a shipment of eggs, all intact and looking good (on the outside)....but one is quite a bit bigger than the rest. should i incubate it? it's in the bator now...but is only on day 3. i'm afraid it could be a double yolker. should i just keep it in and hope for the best? and it may NOT be a double....it's considerably bigger than the rest...but not SO SO much bigger...wish i could take a pic, but we don't have our camera now. the weight is 2.5 oz and the other eggs are not quite 2 oz.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Oh yea leave it in. At least thats what I would do!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I believe you can candle it and see if there are two yolks in there....

4. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I would go ahead and leave it. I had someone tell me no way could a double yoker be fertile. They were wrong. The week before Thanksgiving I had four chicks hatch and only 3 empty egg shells. I didn't have to help them because when I woke up I found they hatched overnight. Give it a chance.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Double yolkers are certainly fertile, however, 98% of the time, the chicks are deformed or one dies and the other survives. It is pretty rare for double yolkers to hatch out two healthy chicks.

6. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    well, i think i'm gonna leave it in there....maybe candle it and see....maybe it doesnt even have a double yolk. it's funny (not really) that i've noticed the eggs i bought off ebay, from 2 different people.....one said 12+...and my extra one there was a bigger egg. the other one said 10+ and my 2 extras were pretty small....makes you wonder if they just throw in extras that arn't really good for hatching anyway. then again, maybe i'm just too new to all this and don't know.

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I would leave it in there and candle it at day 10.

8. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Agreed. If the egg is a lighter shell color...almost anything but Marans or Welsummer...you'll be able to see the two yolks floating around in there. The exception would be those really thick egg shells.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What do you have to lose? Incubate it and hope for the best.

10. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    I'd leave it... My hens lay eggs that are all different shapes and sizes. Good luck with whatever you decide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by