Incubate or Natural?

chixrus

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
i am going to breed my light brahmas. the problem is, i don't own an incubator and don't really know how to use one. Sooooo, do i let one of my hens hatch them or do i incubate them myself?

ADVICE, PLEASE!!

Anna

Do any of your hens go broody? That would be the first determining factor. If so, why not make use of their motherly skills. If not, then articifical incubation may be your only choice.

the hen will do it but has to be broody and that is a only if they are in a mood thing not on your command. Incubating can be done on your terms...yes there is a cost involved...it is not that hard to do...they come with directions and folks here do it all the time

i don't know if mine go broody, usually i collect the eggs WAY too often, so the poor hens never get a chance, but i decided i wanted to try hatching. how much does an incubator cost? i have silkies, do they go broody?

Last edited:
really? cool! they haven't started laying yet, but i wanted to wait a little bit anyway, thanks!

Silkies will not only hatch their babies, they will steal a nest from another hen and hatch those to ! My silkie ends up with babies that look nothing like her cause she rolls eggs right out of another hens nest and into hers when the other hen goes to eat, quite comical.

i have a hen that i think is broody. i would like to hatch turkey eggs, but i would like to know how many turkey eggs she can hatch (she's a BO) and how to go about putting them under her. thanks!

thats going to be one confused turkey!!!
lau.gif

Quote:
I read a humorous account of putting duck and geese eggs under a chicken broody. Apparently Mama Hen freaks when at a few days old her "chicks" head for the first mud puddle they can find.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom