Incubating 1 duck egg where do i go from here?

buffy the chick layer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
I have 1 duck egg {aylesbury} in the incubator...the others were infertile!....It is due to hatch on sunday and wondered where I go from there....I recently hatched chicks {now 8 weeks} they went into brooder etc, I know the duckling would go in too but what else...

1) how long before the duckling can go outside permanently
2) when do they have access to water to swim in etc....
3) woudl it need a 'nest' like the chicks?
4) we are going to house it in our old dog kennle, would it need perches and/or a higher place to rest or would it be ok to throw some shavings/straw/hay in there and that be it or am I missing something?
5) anything else i need to know?

thanks and sorry for lots of questions.

If there is any way you can acquire another duckling after yours has hatched I would as fast as possible. A lonely duck is a very sad and needy duck.

1) fully feathered is best and that depends on breed 8-10 weeks usually
2) they can have swimming water as soon as 2 days old BUT you must be with them at all times if they are not fully feathered because a baby duck can get waterlogged and drown. It's best to use a shallow dish if you want them to swim when they are young
3)if it's a female, when she is older & she goes broody she will make a nest like the chickens do but as a duckling it won't need a nest.
4)Ducks do not perch unless it is an ornamental duck (mandarin, wood, etc) and they are messy. One duck makes a bigger mess than 10 chicks. They poo, they poo a lot and they like to play with their water. I use puppy pads because with ducks the bedding has to be changed often.
5)Ducks need to be able to dip their bill completely into the water to clean out their sinuses. It help reduce some of the water mess if you put a dish or cookie sheet under the waterer. They need a game bird starter feed because of the niacin in it and the higher protein content. If you can't find another duckling, a feather duster or a mirror or even a fuzzy stuffed animal may help with the lonely but it will need you a lot.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ducks
big_smile.png
We are happy to answer any questions you can think of and if you have more just come on back and we can help you figure it out.

Quote:
Many thanks for the welcome and the replies.....
I think I will try to find another duckling local..many thnaks, the above bold bit did make me laugh with the duster lol, but i understand

thank you again

Back
Top Bottom