1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating a chicken egg that got wet?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brodysam, Apr 25, 2010.

1. brodysam

brodysam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    We had a terrible storm last night. My bcm hen laid an egg this morning that I'd like to put in the incubator, but it got wet (leak in the bottom, hen was able to stay dry). I know you're not supposed to wash hatching eggs, but will the plain water affect the hatch?

2. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    It is worth a try! I have read that some people do wash their hatching eggs!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained [​IMG]

3. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I had 2 sets of eggs come through the mail that had broken eggs in them, so I HAD to wash the eggs. The yolk had gotten all over the other eggs. I did a search on this forum and found that some people regularly wash their eggs before hatching them. One person even uses hot tap water to wash them. So...long story short....I now have approx 20+ (having a hard time getting a correct head count [​IMG]) day old chicks that hatched this weekend from eggs that I washed before setting them in the incubator:) I don't think that you will have any problem with your egg.

4. gaz131

gaz131 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    Huddersfield ( UK )
    set it, it will be fine I wash mine all the time to clean off the poop and they always hatch (take some of the tips with a pinch of salt there not all right) its like say that a wild birds egg would never get wet and one things for sure they do, with the rain from time to time.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  5. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    I agree with all of the above. Give it a try!

[​IMG]

6. brodysam

brodysam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Thanks so much!

7. Andy J

Andy J Out Of The Brooder

I have never set an egg, knowingly,that had sit in water for a time.I wash dirty eggs all the time and incubate them.They hatch just as well as the others.If you don't have anything but dirty ar wet eggs,and you want to set eggs,then you don't have a choice.Give it a try.You ain't got nothing to lose!

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I washed and sanitized my eggs and got a 90% hatch rate with both chickens and turkeys.

So long as the eggs weren't actually submerged for a long period of time they should still be viable.

.....Alan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by