Incubating a chicken egg that got wet?

brodysam

Songster
10 Years
May 7, 2009
We had a terrible storm last night. My bcm hen laid an egg this morning that I'd like to put in the incubator, but it got wet (leak in the bottom, hen was able to stay dry). I know you're not supposed to wash hatching eggs, but will the plain water affect the hatch?

It is worth a try! I have read that some people do wash their hatching eggs!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained
smile.png

I had 2 sets of eggs come through the mail that had broken eggs in them, so I HAD to wash the eggs. The yolk had gotten all over the other eggs. I did a search on this forum and found that some people regularly wash their eggs before hatching them. One person even uses hot tap water to wash them. So...long story short....I now have approx 20+ (having a hard time getting a correct head count
tongue.png
) day old chicks that hatched this weekend from eggs that I washed before setting them in the incubator:) I don't think that you will have any problem with your egg.

set it, it will be fine I wash mine all the time to clean off the poop and they always hatch (take some of the tips with a pinch of salt there not all right) its like say that a wild birds egg would never get wet and one things for sure they do, with the rain from time to time.
smile.png
smile.png

Last edited:
I have never set an egg, knowingly,that had sit in water for a time.I wash dirty eggs all the time and incubate them.They hatch just as well as the others.If you don't have anything but dirty ar wet eggs,and you want to set eggs,then you don't have a choice.Give it a try.You ain't got nothing to lose!

I washed and sanitized my eggs and got a 90% hatch rate with both chickens and turkeys.

So long as the eggs weren't actually submerged for a long period of time they should still be viable.

.....Alan.

I had stored my eggs in the garrage to settle before incubation and found them wet the following day I'm worried should I continue with them or they already lost fertility

Seems everyone above said they'll be fine.
I agree it shouldn't effect them much. I collected eggs a while back and forgot and left them on the hood of my truck overnight. It stormed all night but I set them anyway and didn't notice a reduced hatch rate.

Back
Top Bottom