Incubating a Double Yolk Egg?

nicoletm24

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Timberlake
I have a barred rock hen that lays a double yolk egg about once a week. the egg is huge! we've cooked a few of them, so I'm sure they are double yolked. What are the chances of having twins??? Is that possible? Or are they usually duds???

Thanks

I have always wondered about this too... but soemone recently posted a pic of an attempt, I think the embryos made it pretty far along- maybe day 16 or 17, but then they died. In that post others said that they have seen it tried over and over but never seen it work out. It's kind of amazing that there is even a 1 in 80,000 chance- Our barred rock lays double yolkers from time to time too. I can't imagine how there could be enough room in there for two little ones!

I think I saw that someone had twins successfully. But she had to help the hatch. One was oriented up toward the air cell but the other had it's beak at the wrong end of the egg. I think it is more common that one survives and one dies.

It isn't that they are usually duds, it's that both usually don't survive as only one has the air cell available. I believe when people have occasionally gotten two live chicks they have had to help, and we know that is often not successful.

I'm actually afraid I have twins right now under a broody hen. I see two dark spots moving around in different directions. If it does turn out to be twins, should I move the egg to an incubator to increase the chance of at least one hatching? Or, should I leave it alone with mama? This is my first hatch and I'm terrified already!

Back
Top Bottom