Incubating abandoned chicken eggs

VirulentVulpine

Songster
Aug 4, 2019
For the last couple of weeks, I’ve been stumped as to why my hen hasn’t been laying any eggs. Well... Turns out she’s decided to hide them underneath our barn! Upon accidentally going underneath it myself, I found a treasure trove of abandoned eggs— about 30.

I feel so bummed about all these wasted eggs. Is there any way for me to test and see if any are okay to be incubated in my bator?

She has since been laying in her nesting box, at least.:th

Attachments

• A239E74A-A6B5-4FC2-B116-D25FF8436626.jpeg
    A239E74A-A6B5-4FC2-B116-D25FF8436626.jpeg
    693.1 KB · Views: 5
I say fill up the incubator and see what happens! I candle all eggs before putting them in the incubator regardless of how fresh they are. So after a quick sniff test to make sure you're not putting any ticking time bombs in the incubator and a quick candling to check for anything weird, I would incubate and see what you have developing in about a week! I hope you'll update us! :pop

You should also be able to get a general idea of how old the eggs are by air cell size. Even when they aren't incubating the air cell will change in size. The tiny air cells are the freshest.

Go for it!! I regret not incubating so many eggs throughout my two years of chicken ownership. Especially 30 eggs that were ready to hatch as in Day 21 but I didn’t know better and didn’t own an incubator or how anything worked.

Thanks everyone! I candled them all and most had very small air cells, and none of them smelled rotten. I put them all in the incubator, they’re doing well so far. :)
I’m very glad I asked here. I would have thrown them out otherwise.

Thanks everyone! I candled them all and most had very small air cells, and none of them smelled rotten. I put them all in the incubator, they’re doing well so far. :)
I’m very glad I asked here. I would have thrown them out otherwise.

That's so exciting! How many did you definitely end up with? :pop

Back
Top Bottom