Incubating Abandoned Dove Eggs

They need consistent warmth, not just in the day time...
You will need a calibrated therometer to ensure they are the right temp, as well as a hygrometer to measure humidity. Candle the eggs, to look for development, and post images here if you can- Candling is just shining a light through the egg in a dark room- You would hope to see an embryo and veins depending on how long the eggs were sat on, and how long you have had them.
But the most important thing here, is this your dove, or wild?
If wild, it may be illegal to take the eggs... It would depend on where you live, I'm not sure how it would apply here.
Exactly the information I was looking for and more. Thank you for that. What should proper temp/humidty be of? So the eggs were abandoned about a week before I took them in it has been cold. As far as a pet? I dont know what that is (uhm uhm) but theoretically she feels like family she chose my porch 3 years running now first go some robin like the French say ****ed up her eggs I felt bad the following year she didnt leave that nest til them babies were as big as her stacked 3 it was hilarious. Now this year I am stuck with the kids. It was 60 degrees for a week here and she arrived which seemed early then it got cold down to 35 would you have any insight on why a dedicated street dove would abandoned her babies when it is such significance to their nature? Did my ex scare her away?

P.S. Yes she is my pet that I took in 3 years ago my animals have free earth reign:)

Doves can see Earth's magnetic field, I am pretty sure they can see if there is embryonic development.
Good thought when this indeed happens does the mother build another nest entirely or discard the eggs from her current nest? Does she have time to mate/lay again? I have seen another Dove with her guessing its the male

true, birds are smart, and they usually have good judgement when it comes to these things- good mama's don't leave their eggs for no good reason.
There was a robin acting stupid for a few days before this happened. Big hungry sucker too could eat my dog. Jk but this robin looked like he was up to something. Blue Jays are everywhere too just sabotaging

Yep. No, that is correct, doves can tell if their not good and will leave the nest, they might also leave because people would be being noisy around the area, which is why you shouldnt be noisy.

If that is the case, for future, dont do that OP. Your thought behind it was very sweet, but not very correctly thought of Ahead of time.
Thank you for response.
As far as noisy a bird returning for the third year in a row is actually a sign of it not being noisy hostile or threatening conditions. doves being able to tell, so i guess you can cancel that one out. after i found out why exactly she left thats debatable as so my decision to bring them in under now proper conditions. there are several reasons as to why this would happen. If you have anything that would be helpful please let me know

I would wait longer to see if the mom comes back, there could be many scenarios that we are unsure of. First off, dont walk around there a ton and be quiet around it, incase she does come back. If their not coming back, theres a high chance theres a reason. as hard as it is to, leave them be. Doves can leave their nests for many reasons for periods of times, not to mention how difficult they are to care for, and the fact many places it is illegal
I really wanted to wait longer should i put them back? It has been one day. I go out on the front porch once a day the only noise she may hear is my dumb ass neighbor yelling eat her kids. I am definitely sure theres a good reason it was 60-65 for a week she showed up then it went down to 35-40 and only 50s now. This whole story is theoretically. I have been caring for several animals

I really wanted to wait longer should i put them back? It has been one day. I go out on the front porch once a day the only noise she may hear is my dumb ass neighbor yelling eat her kids. I am definitely sure theres a good reason it was 60-65 for a week she showed up then it went down to 35-40 and only 50s now. This whole story is theoretically. I have been caring for several animals
I dont know how well that would work at this point, but yes.

if the eggs were already gone the chance of her coming back is much lower, if there already was any chance before. But yes, that seems like the best and only logicial option.

Exactly the information I was looking for and more. Thank you for that. What should proper temp/humidty be of? So the eggs were abandoned about a week before I took them in it has been cold. As far as a pet? I dont know what that is (uhm uhm) but theoretically she feels like family she chose my porch 3 years running now first go some robin like the French say ****ed up her eggs I felt bad the following year she didnt leave that nest til them babies were as big as her stacked 3 it was hilarious. Now this year I am stuck with the kids. It was 60 degrees for a week here and she arrived which seemed early then it got cold down to 35 would you have any insight on why a dedicated street dove would abandoned her babies when it is such significance to their nature? Did my ex scare her away?

P.S. Yes she is my pet that I took in 3 years ago my animals have free earth reign:)

I would still candle them before putting them back, I imagine it is unlikely mama dove wil return by now- there is likely a reason that she left them.
But yes, I would return them to the nest, they probably shouldnt have been taken to begin with

I would still candle them before putting them back, I imagine it is unlikely mama dove wil return by now- there is likely a reason that she left them.
But yes, I would return them to the nest, they probably shouldnt have been taken to begin with
Okay so the candle thing shows they are inside. Something could have happened to her. And you are definitely 20/20 on hindsight lol. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again theoretically if it happened again its not like I'm out stealing birds eggs in satisfaction. I just thought hey i have the necessities why not try instead of watching two eggs rot on my porch. I know she didnt leave them because she was sick of sitting on them lol obviously its for a reason which could be several. Thanks for the help negative nancy

Back
Top Bottom