Incubating Abandoned Dove Eggs

I dont know how well that would work at this point, but yes.

if the eggs were already gone the chance of her coming back is much lower, if there already was any chance before. But yes, that seems like the best and only logicial option.
Ok so I have had them for 24 hrs and she had been gone with eggs there for over a week. Odds are she wasnt coming back at all. I have faith they will hatch. Its not like I am going to watch the eggs rot in sadness. This bird is a trooper least I can do is try. Thank you

Okay so the candle thing shows they are inside. Something could have happened to her. And you are definitely 20/20 on hindsight lol. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again theoretically if it happened again its not like I'm out stealing birds eggs in satisfaction. I just thought hey i have the necessities why not try instead of watching two eggs rot on my porch. I know she didnt leave them because she was sick of sitting on them lol obviously its for a reason which could be several. Thanks for the help negative nancy
How is that negative :hmm

Anyway, okay, do see an embryo inside, veins?
Should look like this (this is a duck egg chart, but still, it shows development in different stages)

Attachments

• e0f75d57a92633c4ad3785ba64e880d1.jpg
    e0f75d57a92633c4ad3785ba64e880d1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 14

Should look like this (this is a duck egg chart, but still, it shows development in different stages)

My apologies everyone insists on saying no no no and you should have and its illegal. I don't care about all that I just truly want to save these eggs I have a weird attachment with this Dove over 3 years.
So when she showed up it was 2 weeks ago. Stayed on the nest for a week then has been gone for just over a week and it has been drastically cold here by Chicago. I did the candle test it looked almost exactly like day 19-20. I am just looking for advice on anything else to do or not to do in order to hatch these (given they are not on the fritz already). I get it i shouldnt have took them etc....

My apologies everyone insists on saying no no no and you should have and its illegal. I don't care about all that I just truly want to save these eggs I have a weird attachment with this Dove over 3 years.
So when she showed up it was 2 weeks ago. Stayed on the nest for a week then has been gone for just over a week and it has been drastically cold here by Chicago. I did the candle test it looked almost exactly like day 19-20. I am just looking for advice on anything else to do or not to do in order to hatch these (given they are not on the fritz already). I get it i shouldnt have took them etc....
I disagree with your decision to keep them, especially if it is illegal, despite your intentions.
But it doesnt sound you're going to give up on it, so I will offer advice where I can.
Can you send a photo of the eggs being candled? At some point they will need to go into "lockdown"
Which is when the humidity goes up and the egg is no longer turned.
So it's important to establish a hatch date if you are to try this- I'm not being negative, or judgmental, I'm just uneasy with the situation.

Anyway, a photo would really help and the advice people can give would be dependent on it

My guess is that her instincts said that it was not going to work when it got cold again. She is probably off somewhere preparing a new nest to try again.

I disagree with your decision to keep them, especially if it is illegal, despite your intentions.
But it doesnt sound you're going to give up on it, so I will offer advice where I can.
Can you send a photo of the eggs being candled? At some point they will need to go into "lockdown"
So it's important to establish a hatch date if you are to try this- I'm not being negative, or judgmental, I'm just uneasy with the situation.

Anyway, a photo would really help and the advice people can give would be dependent on it
I get what you are saying but putting them back no mother seems careless when you love animals of all kinds. Weird how people attach their opinions on what they would have done. Anyways, you are correct I will not put them back outside in 40 degree weather to get eaten or destroyed by another robin or bluejay which happened two years ago. Sometimes human intervention in the right way is beneficial hence why I joined this forum to gain more knowledge. I get why its illegal bc people are stunads and careless uneducated so I agree with you that 99% of people should leave them. I will try my best to get a picture when you say lockdown are you referring to no movement relocation adjustment of nest and constant heat without turning the eggs? I appreciate your information I really do but I am just being straight up I dont care if its illegal I just want to try my best to hatch these eggs since I have an attachment to that wonderful Dove.

My guess is that her instincts said that it was not going to work when it got cold again. She is probably off somewhere preparing a new nest to try again.
I think you are correct the weather was 60 degrees plus for like 5 days she showed up then the weather went down drastically to 35-40. I asked someone else if this happens will the mother come back to the nest (been coming to same nest for 3 years) or will she abandon it all together and restart.

Thank you for your information it is appreciated

Most humans would leave them and care less thats what makes me uneasy. Nothing wrong with intervention the proper way. I get it let nature take its coarse yodda yodda. I have gathered some good information from a few ppl including you so thank you. I will do my best to get those pictures

I get what you are saying but putting them back no mother seems careless when you love animals of all kinds. Weird how people attach their opinions on what they would have done. Anyways, you are correct I will not put them back outside in 40 degree weather to get eaten or destroyed by another robin or bluejay which happened two years ago. Sometimes human intervention in the right way is beneficial hence why I joined this forum to gain more knowledge. I get why its illegal bc people are stunads and careless uneducated so I agree with you that 99% of people should leave them. I will try my best to get a picture when you say lockdown are you referring to no movement relocation adjustment of nest and constant heat without turning the eggs? I appreciate your information I really do but I am just being straight up I dont care if its illegal I just want to try my best to hatch these eggs since I have an attachment to that wonderful Dove.
so lockdown, all you have to do is monitor temp and humidity. Throughout incubation you should turn the eggs several times a day, side to side, this prevents the embryo from sticking to the shell- at lockdown the chick will get into position to hatch, and would need to be left alone- no more turning.
If the eggs are developing, I would strongly encourage you to invest in an incubator- but pictures would really help to confirm how far along they are and if they are likely to hatch

Agree completely. I will get pics soon. Os tje reaSpm fpr tjos ;lockdowm

Back
Top Bottom