1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Incubating American Buff Goose Egg Questions?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jimlas, Mar 15, 2013.

1. jimlas

jimlas In the Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Well, I have joined the many people incubating goose eggs this year,and boy am I excited.
    I am using shipped eggs, as there is nobody that I know of here in New Hampshire that raises the American Buff goose.
    Anyway, I candled the first three that I set 5 days ago, and at least one was definitely fertile but the other two are really hard to get a good look at.
    I will wait a couple more days and candle again.

My question is should I be misting them once a day now or wait until I am further along.
    The air cells look fine in this batch. I did have 5 others, same breed, shipped as well. They were set three days ago.
    Only one of the air cells looked like it might be loose a little. Not bad. Not sure if I should prop it up a little.
    I am only using Little Giant incubators so I feel if I propped it up then it would be getting different temperatures throughout the egg??

Does anyone else have shipped goose eggs in a bator right now?

Thanks so much :eek:)

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Crowing

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  3. jimlas

jimlas In the Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I did, thank you :eek:)

I just checked for fertility tonight and at least two are fertile out of the first three I set from Washington state ( day 7 ), and 4 out of the 5 that I got from Florida are fertile, ( day 4 )
    I am so excited! I knew the fifth egg from Florida probably wouldn't be fertile as it is very small compared to the other 4. I think it was stuck in as an extra, but came from a young goose. I only bought 4 anyway,
    I'll give those two undecided a few more days to make sure.

This is going to be a long month :eek:)

I really need to know how long the American Buffs incubate for though so I know when to lock down. I am having a hard time to find info on this specific breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by