Incubating an egg in a cardboard incubator PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by saltley2010, Dec 13, 2012.

1. saltley2010

saltley2010 New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    hello there, i have recently made a homemade incubator as i have some chickens in the back garden. The breed of the chickens i have are known as aseel game.

well i have made the incubator using a shoe box.
    i made a whole which had the bulb to cover it and is all celotaped.
    a styrofoam lid which i had made a hole on and put a old photo frame glass on there so i could see inside, i celotaped it and made sure it was secure. I put a 25watt bulb in for the 1st day or two but the temp was abit low around 40degrees. I also have a dish of water in there with a sponge. I have now replaced the bulb with a red 60watt bulb but the temp in there got to 98degrees while the humidity got to 80. I had two eggs in there but one cracked due to my baby sister knocking it. I put the remaining egg by a light but no light passes through and been told if no light passes through the egg then it means der is a chick in the egg.

i have around 13 days left now and was wondering would the egg hatch?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]. Maybe the egg will hatch. Since (as you have already found out) it is difficult to control temperature and humidity in such a situation hatching is sort of iffy. Good luck. Be very careful that your make shift incubator does not catch on fire.

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Wow you should share a picture of this. I am thinking that if the egg is too close to the light bulb, it might just get cooked though.

4. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    How can you get 40 degree indoor with a light? At least, you get room temperature (around 70) I think you get 40 celcius degree which is 104 degree. With 25w bulb in a shoe box, it's what you will get. With 60W bulb and 98 celcius, I think the egg is cooked. Touch the egg to see if it's very hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by