Incubating an egg in a cardboard incubator PLEASE HELP!!

saltley2010

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 13, 2012
hello there, i have recently made a homemade incubator as i have some chickens in the back garden. The breed of the chickens i have are known as aseel game.

well i have made the incubator using a shoe box.
i made a whole which had the bulb to cover it and is all celotaped.
a styrofoam lid which i had made a hole on and put a old photo frame glass on there so i could see inside, i celotaped it and made sure it was secure. I put a 25watt bulb in for the 1st day or two but the temp was abit low around 40degrees. I also have a dish of water in there with a sponge. I have now replaced the bulb with a red 60watt bulb but the temp in there got to 98degrees while the humidity got to 80. I had two eggs in there but one cracked due to my baby sister knocking it. I put the remaining egg by a light but no light passes through and been told if no light passes through the egg then it means der is a chick in the egg.

i have around 13 days left now and was wondering would the egg hatch?

welcome-byc.gif
. Maybe the egg will hatch. Since (as you have already found out) it is difficult to control temperature and humidity in such a situation hatching is sort of iffy. Good luck. Be very careful that your make shift incubator does not catch on fire.

Wow you should share a picture of this. I am thinking that if the egg is too close to the light bulb, it might just get cooked though.

How can you get 40 degree indoor with a light? At least, you get room temperature (around 70) I think you get 40 celcius degree which is 104 degree. With 25w bulb in a shoe box, it's what you will get. With 60W bulb and 98 celcius, I think the egg is cooked. Touch the egg to see if it's very hot.

Back
Top Bottom