Incubating and Brooding Eggs Simultaneously

bellzerz

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
I have a broody who is sitting on a fertile clutch. At the same time, I have eggs in my incubator. I had to do it this way because I ended up with more fertile eggs than the broody could handle. They are due to hatch within a couple days of each other. I'm wondering how to get my broody to adopt the incubated eggs should any of them hatch. Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I sometimes do this, I have never had a problem introducing the incubator babies to the hen. I place them under the hen at night and she thinks they are her babies. I done the same thing with turkeys but the turkey hens are more aggressive when you try to lift them and put the babies under them.

I did this with my last hatch. I stuck them under them (two broodies co-mothering) at any time of day. I did this over the course of 10 days or so (staggered hatch due to others adding eggs to the nest) but that's as long as I could do it because the new babies couldn't keep up. They accepted every one without issue though.

Back
Top Bottom