Incubating and Candling questions

Chicken Haven

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and have a few questions about incubating and candling as this is my first time.

Someone told me that my brown eggs should start to turn white eventually but they have not. Is this correct? They are at the 10th-11th day of incubation.

I tried to candle them this morning but couldn't see anything but pores. I don't think I was doing it right. I had a spotlight which I placed the egg on top of then placed my hands around the egg to shield the light. Would it be easier to place a piece of cardboard on top of the spotlight with an egg shaped hole? I'm fairly certain there is something going on as the eggs are a lot heavier than they were a week ago but I want to make sure it's a good something
wink.png

A little background on myself also...these eggs/incubator are actually at my son's daycare. I provided everything for them so the kids can watch nature (sort of). I have 9 at home already. 1 Turken, 1 White Rock hen, 1 White Rock rooster (soon to go buh-bye), 1 Buff Orp. pullet, 1 Blue Andalusion pullet, 2 Rhode Island Red pullets, and 2 Araucana pullets. The pullets still have about 3 or 4 weeks until they will go outside with the big girls.
I look forward to any help, thank you!

Welcome to the board!

Brown eggs will stay brown the whole time. Egg shell color doesn't change.

A spot light with a cut out of a egg shape would probably be better to use for a candler. At this point, shine the light into the air cell side of the egg and you should be able to see more detail. If there is a big black spot, that is a good thing.

Eggs get lighter as they incubate. The growing chick breathes and the water content of the egg decreases. Make sure your humidity is about 40-50 or so, and that there is enough water loss from the egg.

Search "candling eggs" and you can probably find a lot of different experiences people have had.

Here is the learning center to help start things off:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-howto.html

Back
Top Bottom