Incubating and hatching eggs chat thread!!

Pics
That is so neat! I'm going to have to look around at my whole foods or trader joes soon. Or farmers market. Are the farmer markets usually fertile?

Many people that sell eggs also have Roos. I sell eggs and mine are fertile. But I wash my eating eggs I sell and refrigerate them, so I let people know that if they want unwashed eggs stored properly for hatching let me know. And I would charge more for my pure breds.

Oh wow!! Are the eggs you hatched from your chickens?
If you are talking to me, yes. My entire flock, both standard and silkies I hatched out. Originally I never had an interest in chickens. My sister bored me to death talking about chickens...lol I homeschool my son and we were doing an oviparous animal unit for science. Dear sis said take my incubator, I'll give you eggs and you can try to hatch. She was supposed to take any chicks that hatched. Yeah, I had her incubator for 2 years, she just got it back end of last year...lol I even did a couple hatches for her and my nephew...lol (I'm the better hatcher..lol) Anyhow, that's how I built my flock. Had all the free eggs I wanted from her, plus bought others from a local gal to mix up the gene pool, and get my spitz, which I love dearly. Once mine were laying I moved on to breeding them. My silkie eggs came from a friend downstate last year and now I am hatching their babies. I have never bought a chick or chickens. I pick the ones I like and sell the others.

I was candling my 7 eggs on day 18 to prepare for lockdown and noticed a couple of internal pips and heard chirping. I've never witnessed an internal pip".guess my eggs have always been in lockdown when it's happened. How long after internal pip to hatch is typical?

I was candling my 7 eggs on day 18 to prepare for lockdown and noticed a couple of internal pips and heard chirping. I've never witnessed an internal pip".guess my eggs have always been in lockdown when it's happened. How long after internal pip to hatch is typical?
It can take 24 hours to progress from internal to external pip and it can take another 24 hours between external pip and zip. It can take less, time, but those are normal perimeters.

Back
Top Bottom