Incubating and hatching eggs chat thread!!

Pics
You can have good hatches with any breed if you know how to monitor their needs. I can give you the name of a wonderful seller/shipper of paint silkies split to black if you can't find any locally. My parent stock came from eggs of her original flock and she is an awesome packer. She's downstate NY, but has sent to friends in Wyoming and Georgia both that had just as awesome hatches as I had. See has a great rep as a seller/shipper.
I'm in Massachusetts and would love to get some eggs from her. I started with 30 Silkie eggs, six were quitters, five were never fertilized and I'm still iffy on some in there. I'll be lucky if I get a dozen to hatch. They came with some broken, some scrambled and some with dislodged air cells. It's been rough for my first time.

I like variety. But, I need a reliable source... someone that knows their fertility because they are frequently checking. I can't keep throwing duds in the bator. It's a waste of my money and a total disappointment.

Eggs evaporate moisture. If its not under a hen or in an incubator they MAY not do it at the optimal rate. I misted with water every couple of days. I DON'T know if it helped or not but I did hatch eggs on the kitchen counter this way as a kid in school

I'm in Massachusetts and would love to get some eggs from her. I started with 30 Silkie eggs, six were quitters, five were never fertilized and I'm still iffy on some in there. I'll be lucky if I get a dozen to hatch. They came with some broken, some scrambled and some with dislodged air cells. It's been rough for my first time.
I had 18 shipped. No detached air cells. I think I had three or four that were slightly wobbly, but I set upright and didn't turn the first 24 hours, then tilted the next 48 hours and by day 4 those that were slightly wobbly firmed right back up. Only one did not show any signs of development. 3 were very early quitters, blood ring by day 3. 14 went into lockdown and 12 of those hatched beautifully healthy chicks. My breeder's name on here is @RubyNala97. Awesome lady to deal with. Just have to catch her when she has the extra eggs to sell.

Eggs evaporate moisture. If its not under a hen or in an incubator they MAY not do it at the optimal rate. I misted with water every couple of days. I DON'T know if it helped or not but I did hatch eggs on the kitchen counter this way as a kid in school
Misting eggs actually increases the rate of moisture loss. As it evaporates it pulls out moisture from the egg.

If I get ONE shipped egg to hatch I consider itca success. I know that's disappointing, but with all the things that go wrong I'm happy with anything. Even broodies have poor hatches. Case in point I have 5 turkey hens that have been trying to hatch eggs for three months with NO luck. Its there first year

Back
Top Bottom