Incubating and vibrations

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by doodledoo, Mar 17, 2009.

1. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    I was planning on putting my new incubator in the laundry room but I am wondering if the vibration from the washing machine would damage the embryos - does any one know?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I think it could hurt them if you keep youre incubator on top of the washer or dryer other wise I think it would be ok

3. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    Thanks for the quick response - it would not be on top of them just to the side but we have a crawl space and when the washing machine goes through the spin cycle the floor vibrate quite a bit so I did not know if it would/could cause a problem.

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    well if it vibrates alot even at a distance or what not I might want to find a less jiggly place.
    But I am new so Im shuresomeone else will know.
    Disclaimer... I have never owned a washer or dryer so I dont know how much they jiggil in a home .

5. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    I have tried in the laundry room and out of it and could not tell the difference in the hatch due to vibration (or lack of)

6. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    When in doubt don't. That is what I said when I was thinking the same thing. Our washer & dryer are out in our trailer house (we just use it for laundry and storage) and since the temp is more constant I thought perfect. Then I thought about the fact that I can see the sliding door shake when it goes through its spin and was worried. I deceided to play it safe and find somewhere else to put it.

7. Whimsical Farming Wife

Whimsical Farming Wife Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    This is a pretty old thread~ but I am wondering what happened with this? I have the same issue~ the best spot in my house for the incubator is on the mud room/laundry room counter BUT my washing machine does cause some vibration.
    I have the incubator sitting on a folded up fleece blanket, in an effort to cushion some of vibration. Has anyone hatched eggies from a bator by a source of vibration???

8. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    I had mine in the laundry room, I even moved the bator back and forth to whichever machine wasn't running and I had an awful hatch. Next time I think I'm going to find a better spot.

9. Whimsical Farming Wife

Whimsical Farming Wife Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Well... only 5 out of 42 hatched[​IMG]The bator has now been moved to my bedroom (which is mainly jiggle-free [​IMG])!

10. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    oh wow, sorry you had such a bad hatch. I had 2/12 on chicks and 5/10 on ducks, like I said I won't be keeping it in the laundry room again either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by