Incubating chicks for the first time

homema

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 4, 2013
Sebeka, MN
I have a mix of cross breed chickens eggs, guinea eggs and Peking duck eggs that I started incubating just 19 days ago, they started hatching yesterday. So far 7 chickens have hatched and a few have just started piping, two died with in an hour after they were totally fluffed last night. 3 are in perfect condition, the last 2 are staring to fluff and scoot around. I've never incubated before, I always let the hens do it the natural way until we started having issues with nest robbing critters! We have ducks, chickens, pigs, calves and of course are faithful mouse hunting cats that keep those nasty rodents out of the hen house. I am open to any comments that would help with the hatching, we want a 100% turn out as best we can.

Greetings from Kansas, homema, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! You might check out the incubating & hatching forum below. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Thank you for the welcome! Not only is the incubated hatching new to me but I'm also a total newbie to any type of online anything! So I hope you all will be patient with me while I try to figure out the site and my phone and of course what I'm doing with my little eggs.

So I've noticed a pattern now as to the chicks that've hatched so far were only the ones that were directly under the heating elimant, just those 11 have hatched none since. Those were a week ahead of schedule, none of the others have started. The temp. Is right with a nice amount of humidity. I started spritsing the eggs after the first hatch failure and the others came out strong with no problems. Am I just to antsy in waiting, how long is too long to see if they'll hatch? Everything I've read has said that after 28 days there's no hope for them to hatch, does that sound right?

Back
Top Bottom