Incubating Chinese Goose Eggs

imagatto2

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
Myrtle Beach, SC
Hi everyone,

My daughter and I are trying to incubate Chinese goose eggs. I feel I may have already messed it up though. I am using the RITE FARM PRODUCTS PRO MASTER SERIES 64 CHICKEN EGG INCUBATOR & HATCHER TURNER. It turns the eggs automatically and maintains the temperature, however, I have to add water continuously to create the humidity level. This fluctuates constantly between 70% and then the alarm goes off at 33%. This is terribly wrong isn't it? Could anyone recommend a better incubator that controls the humidity levels automatically? I have read Pete55's guide and realize I have already made a few mistakes. For instance, I did not weigh the eggs at first but I will weigh them today. We are on day 5. Hopefully I haven't screwed this completely up. :hit

Kind regards,
Peg

Hi everyone,

My daughter and I are trying to incubate Chinese goose eggs. I feel I may have already messed it up though. I am using the RITE FARM PRODUCTS PRO MASTER SERIES 64 CHICKEN EGG INCUBATOR & HATCHER TURNER. It turns the eggs automatically and maintains the temperature, however, I have to add water continuously to create the humidity level. This fluctuates constantly between 70% and then the alarm goes off at 33%. This is terribly wrong isn't it? Could anyone recommend a better incubator that controls the humidity levels automatically? I have read Pete55's guide and realize I have already made a few mistakes. For instance, I did not weigh the eggs at first but I will weigh them today. We are on day 5. Hopefully I haven't screwed this completely up. :hit

Kind regards,
Peg
From what I recall, humidity should be around 50-55%. If you're not in the desert, or cold climates while continuously running a forced air furnace, there shouldn't be much issue. The last few days are critical, requiring 75%+ humidity to aid the gosling in breaking the shell...I forgot to weigh mine for a few days also. I think this is an important parameter to monitor for progress only. I don't think

...the starting weight matters much. It just matters that it goes down steadily through development. Good luck, they're so cute.

Hi everyone,

Kind regards,
Peg
Try a Brinsea. They never fail

I tend to use Hova-Bators 1588s for goose egg incubation and have had very good results. I also own a couple of Brinsea Octagon Advances, but goose eggs would sit too close to the heating element in those, IMO. A Hova-Bator 2370 would also be a solid, affordable choice (I use these as hatchers). Best of luck with your hatch!

Just a little comment about Chinese or African geese there egg shell are on the dry side and a little more porous they do need a higher humidity then other breads and ducks. Weighing the eggs is not as important as candling for air cell growth (growing to fast higher humidity to slow less humidity). Geese under normal situations are very forgiving eggs. They actulay do better with a daily slight drop in tempiture and you can dip them it 95-99 degree water bath for a few min every day after day 7 of incubation instead of misting so the whole shell comes in contact with water. 6 hatches this year and with everyone there were a few times that the humidity dropped below 12% while I was at work it didn't hurt them at all. Most Broody geese leave there nest for about 15-20 min. every day to eat and bath then get back on the nest wet. If you think about it elsewhere would they get that high humidity required on a dry summers day in the nest. Not a expert but just some thoughts

Back
Top Bottom