incubating Delewares, not going to be home on hatch day. Is this a huge problem?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by laurelmtnlover, May 21, 2012.

1. laurelmtnlover

laurelmtnlover In the Brooder

May 22, 2010
    I realize that staying home is one of the harsh realities of animal husbandry, but my dtrs will be in the area, not in my town, and they would like me to meet them for a rafting trip. I see them only a few times a year. My Delewares, first try, are due to hatch out that day. Would they be safe in the incubator? It is a simple non turning, still air styrofoam base model. My first intuition is that they would not be ok. Their is metal mesh on the bottom, and Im afraid of the heat hurting any hatchlings. What do you think? I really don't know anyone around here to hang out and take them out into the brooder.

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Songster

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Being away all day might be the best thing for you. You won't be hovering and wanting to interfere with a natural event. They might be a little late and you would be missing your girls and still not have chicks.
    I vote go.... and the chicks will be fine.

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Crowing

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im not an expert but I would say if everything is holding steady and no one is actually out befor you leave I see no problem in leaveing them for as much as 24 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: